Editing Player Ship textures/skins

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Editing Player Ship textures/skins

Post by parazaine »

Can anyone tell me how to edit the appearance of my ship? - can i customise the appearance - i have GIMP 2.0 and WINGS 3d installed and a couple of text editors but have no experience of using these pieces of software yet - some guidance would be appreciated - can i edit the save file? would that be a way of doing it and if so how? Thanks for any help anyone can give me
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Editing Player Ship textures/skins

Post by Rustybolts »

parazaine wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to edit the appearance of my ship? - can i customise the appearance - i have GIMP 2.0 and WINGS 3d installed and a couple of text editors but have no experience of using these pieces of software yet - some guidance would be appreciated - can i edit the save file? would that be a way of doing it and if so how? Thanks for any help anyone can give me
Are you altering a addon ship? If so alter the png file located in the textures folder of oxp. I found using Paint.Net is a much easier program to use than Gimp. I dont think you can alter the model shape as i think after converting to dat file you cannot open with wings.
Not sure about altering core ships as i havn't looked at it myself.*EDIT* textures for core ships are located on my install (winxp) C:\Program Files\Oolite\oolite.app\Resources\Textures *EDIT*.
If you want to create a ship from scratch use this tutorial to get you started.
http://oolite.org/old/cyoship2/
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Many thanks for your reply, im interested in editing textures, making my own ships and also oxp writing but am coming from a position of zero experience with 3d modeling or programming lol - i dont tend to make things easy for myself - i will check out the ship modeling link however i have had problems with texture mapping models i have made - guess i should read the manuals lol
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

You may also find some help here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4869

I recently changed the supercobra to my own version, and needed lots of help. The thread starts off just by talking about using a different cobra, then progresses onto changing the texture.

It may not help you at all as it was specific to my requests, but there could be something there.
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

I havent checked the thread yet but im having problems with displaying my edited textures on my 3d models in wings 3d - is there a simple command im missing?
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

parazaine wrote:
I havent checked the thread yet but im having problems with displaying my edited textures on my 3d models in wings 3d - is there a simple command im missing?
If you have created a texture png as described in the link i gave,Inside of wings open outliner window located in tab window then outliner,In the outliner window select left click then right click on texture png and refresh.This way you can seewhat it looks like as your altering it. If this dont make any sense i suggest reading the tutorial as it describes how to make a texture.
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

ive looked through tutorial, modelled a ship, created texture file and material file and exported as PNG file - edited PNG file with basic colours but when i load it back to wings 3d - cant get texture to apply to model or colours??? tried what you suggested and it didnt seem to do anything - dont know what im doing wrong - are there any other more detailed tutorials about?
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

parazaine wrote:
ive looked through tutorial, modelled a ship, created texture file and material file and exported as PNG file - edited PNG file with basic colours but when i load it back to wings 3d - cant get texture to apply to model or colours??? tried what you suggested and it didnt seem to do anything - dont know what im doing wrong - are there any other more detailed tutorials about?
Once you have created your texture you dont export it click on make external instead and save as png. I think this might be your problem.

*To start from scratch with simple shape open wings
*right click in centre select cube
cube appears
*click on icon that show all faces shaded then click on cube to highlight all faces
*right click again on cube and select uv mapping
new window appears
*inside this window right click again select "segment by" then select "projection"
*inside window again right click select "continue" and select "projection normal"
*you can select and rearrange the shapes that appear in this window, once done right click inside this new window and select "create texture"
*just click ok you can now close this window
*open outliner left click texture you have created then right click it, select
"make external" you must save as png file.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

parazaine wrote:
...are there any other more detailed tutorials about?
Wings has a own forum where you can find tuts and help.

But to attach the texture to the already made model is failrly simple.
FILE -> Import Image
Outliner -> select image, right click, MAKE INTERNAL
Outliner -> select image, right click, PICK UP IMAGE
Outliner -> select the models material, DROP PICKED OBJECT and select DIFFUSE

Have fun and I'm looking forward to see your new ships.
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Thanks for help guys - Svengali, thanks for explaining how to apply textures - finally got it to work at last, i just have to figure a few other things out now, lol.
'Either this wallpaper goes, or I do'

Oscar Wilde's last words
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwlucifuge/ ... directlink

Couldnt figure out how to post screenshots directly but the above link will take you to picassa where you can view two of my designs - I welcome any comments etc

Oscar Wilde's last words
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

parazaine wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mwlucifuge/ ... directlink

Couldnt figure out how to post screenshots directly but the above link will take you to picassa where you can view two of my designs - I welcome any comments etc
Does this work:

Apparently yes!

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Many thanks again - how did you do that by the way?

Oscar Wilde's last words
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

parazaine wrote:
Many thanks again - how did you do that by the way?
I followed your link - right clicked on the image and did properties (this is on FF3 and Ubuntu) - highlighted the http address of the image and then pasted here inside the [ img] [ /img] tags.

HTH

DH
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here