Invisible asteroids?!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Flashheart
Above Average
Above Average

Invisible asteroids?!

Post by Flashheart »

I've encountered a couple of swarms of invisible asteroids today - is this normal?? (I crashed into the last one while looking for it!!).

(Win XP, 1.72.2 with System_Redux, Galcop Trade Outpost, P A Groove Stations and Medusa HUD)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Invisible asteroids?!

Post by Screet »

Flashheart wrote:
I've encountered a couple of swarms of invisible asteroids today - is this normal?? (I crashed into the last one while looking for it!!).

(Win XP, 1.72.2 with System_Redux, Galcop Trade Outpost, P A Groove Stations and Medusa HUD)
Not really normal. However, while I had my windows machine equipped with an ATI card and the drivers were few months old, using full shaders sometimes did lead to ships or asteroids being drawn completely black. Since I got rid of that card, I do not know, but would guess that the 9.6 drivers fixed the problem, as they also fixed the texture lod bias method which was buggy and lead to the squared nebulae problem.

If you're using full shaders, try with shaders off...and if it's gone, then try to find newer drivers for your card, which then might fix the problem.

Screet
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

How could you know that it was a asteroid swarm :-)

Take a look in your Logfile (Latest.log) and maybe you'll get an answer. And to complete it share this knowledge with us .-)
Flashheart
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Flashheart »

Screet, I've done a complete re-install of XP and latest drivers in the last couple of days (Geforce 5200FX - not great but adequate!). I've got shaders on Simple. I shot up some asteroids the other day and nothing in the installation or config has changed since then (except key bindings).

Svengali - good point! It was a well spread out cluster of white targets so I guess it could've been debris or somesuch - but would that destroy my ship on full shields at low speed?

There doesn't seem to be anything interesting in Latest.log i.e. no obvious errors. I haven't changed logcontrol.plist and I'm not sure if/how that would help?

EDIT: Something screwy going on; I sat on the six of an escape pod and blasted him endlessly but didn't get a hit. I found some cargo containers and slammed into them - they blew up, I was fine. I shot up a ship no problem. I'll turn of shaders and see what that does...
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Have you rescaled your window? The other thing is that the Win-version sometimes doesn't complain about shader-errors (int <-> float). Eric notified me that my Vector.oxp has a error in one fragment shader.

I've started now to check everything with GLIntercept, so I hope this won't happen again.