Quick question to the trunk developers! Bounty ...

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quick question to the trunk developers! Bounty ...

Post by Lestradae »

Hey guys,

will it again be possible/is it again possible to set a bounty for pirate ships which the core game populator puts ingame that shows ingame instead of the random Oolite vanilla bounty under future/present 1.73 again?

I would be very much for that, it makes things easier for me (a lot).

Thanks in advance,

L
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I recently added some code in that would calculate a bounty for a ship spawned with the role "pirate" when the auto_ai flag was set to true. It seemed like a good idea, but I had to comment it out only half an hour or so later, because I noticed some weird behaviour with ships (namely an offender with the roleset [none pirate nameOfShipIDon'tRememberExactlyWhat]). It may be that it has side effects that I failed to foresee. So, until this is investigated properly, I'm afraid it will have to stay as is.

Edit: Just re-read your post and realized that I did not respond to your actual question. I think that at this point there are no plans to change the existing regime of how bounty for pirates is assigned.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
Edit: Just re-read your post and realized that I did not respond to your actual question. I think that at this point there are no plans to change the existing regime of how bounty for pirates is assigned.
I think he asked because of the many clean pirates around when using the trunk build. Maybe it's some sort of misunderstanding there?

L is assigning the default bounty by pirate ships in his oxp like this:

Code: Select all

key>leviathan-player-rustypirate</key>
<dict>

<key>like_ship</key>
<string>leviathan-player-rustyplayer</string>

<key>ai_type</key>
<string>pirateAI.plist</string>

<key>bounty</key>
<string>660</string>

<key>max_energy</key>
<real>1200</real>

<key>has_fuel_injection</key>
<real>0.4</real>

<key>has_cloaking_device</key>
<real>0.0005</real>

<key>has_ecm</key>
<real>0.4</real>

<key>has_energy_bomb</key>
<real>0.005</real>

<key>has_escape_pod</key>
<real>0.7</real>

<key>has_military_jammer</key>
<real>0.005</real>

<key>has_military_scanner_filter</key>
<real>0.005</real>

<key>has_shield_booster</key>
<real>0.2</real>

<key>has_shield_enhancer</key>
<real>0.1</real>

<key>has_scoop</key>
<real>1.0</real>

<key>forward_weapon_type</key>
<string>WEAPON_PLASMA_CANNON</string>

<key>aft_weapon_type</key>
<string>WEAPON_PLASMA_CANNON</string>

<key>missile_role</key>
<string>EQ_HOMEMADE_MISSILE</string>

<key>missiles</key>
<integer>25</integer>

<key>roles</key>
<string>pirate rustypiratejuggernaut</string>

</dict>
However, I'm not even sure if it's really only OSE pirates which are clean. It's very annoying though...

EDIT: just found another entry there so now I'm not sure wether I understand things properly :oops:

Code: Select all

<key>grimcobra1</key>
        <dict>
                <key>ai_type</key>
                <string>pirateAI.plist</string>
                <key>bounty</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

I think Lestradae refers to the bounty set in the shipdata being ignored and recalculated by the populator when pirates are added in the system. There have been discussions about it in the past and I think that it is not a very good thing changing the current status quo. If I recall those discussions correctly (sorry, too lazy to search the forum), assigning a bounty of 660 to a ship would result in all in-system police running for that one ship.

Also, why is it so bad having clean pirates? If you are clean and go out and start shooting everything in sight when police is not watching, are you not effectively a clean pirate?
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

There's the fact that if a clean pirate starts a fight and the police stumble on to it, the aggressor may stay clean and their target gets a bounty.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nemoricus wrote:
There's the fact that if a clean pirate starts a fight and the police stumble on to it, the aggressor may stay clean and their target gets a bounty.
Yup, ain't Oolite-life a b1tch? :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

...and then you press space :twisted:
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
Also, why is it so bad having clean pirates? If you are clean and go out and start shooting everything in sight when police is not watching, are you not effectively a clean pirate?
If it were a seldom happening thing, like those Hatchling BoyRacers, I won't bother. However, sometimes I fly through a system where almost every pirate is clean.

As for the bounty, assassins has, for example, also those renegade frigates with 1000Cr bounty on them. They're far more easy to shoot than a Juggernaut (Behemoth) or Condor.

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Screet wrote:
As for the bounty, assassins has, for example, also those renegade frigates with 1000Cr bounty on them. They're far more easy to shoot than a Juggernaut (Behemoth) or Condor.
Yes, but those frigates are added specifically with their distinctive roles and not with the generic role "pirate". This is a subtle, but important difference. Adding a ship with its specific role still retains the shipdata bounty.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

OK, OK, I'll find another way around it.

A suggestion would be to separate the legal status and bounty of offender NPCs the same way thargoids have them separate, but I can imagine that this would need a major rewrite of something and therefore not something you devs can use at the moment ...

But if that suggestion was taken up, it would be possible to script ships with higher bounties without an armada of police hunting for them, wouldn't it?

:(

L