Tionisla Orbital Graveyard

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Thinking about resource management...

Maybe you could have a set number of stationary objects (the buoys maybe) that will be generated on system-creation, then when player gets within 10km (5km is render distance, so maybe even closer) they trigger a script that generates part of the GY (the part closest to the player)?

Just a thought, maybe it will only lead to delays when approaching the GY.
Riding the Rocket!
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

*Doublepost*

I would like to invite all who are interested in seeing the TOGY to visit our yahoopage
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TionislaGY/
and vote on the poll, we devs can't deside about a skin.

Also suggestions are more than welcome (this thread IS in the Sug-forum)

Cheers,
A_H
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I just voted on the TGY group - I like the ankh skin, but I think it would look better as a black hull with white (or light grey) ankh.

OK, some news on the development:

I've been trying to collate the models and information that Rik has been sending to me over the last couple of weeks. I now have a folder with all of Arnoud's models, although the numbering scheme has 5, 8 and 10 missing. The existing models are:

smallmonument1 (unknown)
smallmonument2 (infinity symbol)
smallmonument3 (star of David)
smallmonument4 (notched crucifix)
smallmonument6 (pointy crucifix)
smallmonument7 (pentagram)
smallmonument9 (cube with excerpt from Dark Wheel)
smallmonument11 (wooden cross)

Also, I have the beacon model.

I have written a new shipdata.plist file with all of these in it, under the role of grave_monument. This should mean that Oolite should generate them at random if I use the role in the planetinfo.plist file.

I have the following AIs:

derelictAI
gravemonumentAI
gravestationAI
graveyardbeaconAI

The first three do nothing...they just sit there. The beacon AI is supposed to send a stroppy comm to the player then fire off a missile at him. It so far does not! The code is on my computer at home, but is similar to this:

Code: Select all

"DEFENSE_MODE" = {
        ATTACKED = (setTargetToPrimaryAggressor, broadcastDistressMessage, increaseAlertLevel, "sendCommsMsgToPlayer: oi! stop it!", fireMissile); 
    }; 
Note that the word 'sendCommsMsgToPlayer' may not be exactly what I have entered.

I still haven't got a spinning station. It still faces the wrong way. It needs to be moved anyway, considering that the description states that the station is under the yard, not between it and the planet as previously thought.

I am trying to work out how to effectively populate a double armed spiral shape without bringing Oolite grinding to a halt... I've pretty much accepted that it ain't gonna spin, although the monuments themselves should be able to spin slowly using that quaternion thingy that Giles outlined. Again, though, it may be quite processor intensive, so I may reserve that only for certain monuments.

I am planning on adding a new entry or two in the shipdata.plist file outlining the TOG Krait and the Lancet that Arnoud has designed. The Kraits will be simple patrol ships, slowly poddling round the yard. The Lancet will only be seen if a beacon, a monument or the station is attacked.

I need some help with the use of OXPs (I think). It has been said somewhere that OXPs will work with the PC version as long as the plist files are not XML. I have tried with the wolf mk 2 oxp, but Oolite-PC seems not to be able to detect the OXP. It has been installed to oolite.app/AddOns/wolfmk2.oxp.

Can anyone help with this, or will even ASCII OXPs not work this way?
Arexack_Heretic

Thanks for the update Selezen.
The missing numbers are models that Rik wasn't able to translate, which I shall have to look at again for faults (defective skin sizes etc).

I think spinning monuments should be few (such as the derelict/debris ring monument), to keep it special.
But when you give monuments the asteroid-role next to the monument-role (or whatever you are using), they should be able to tumble nicely.

*pedantic mode*
(Smallmonument #2 is two interlocked rings, I'm still working on the infinity symbol.)
*OFF*
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Selezen, just a quick one: Some textures have different names, but are the same, you cold, if you have time rename stuff in shipdata, so they use one texture
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Selezen wrote:
I need some help with the use of OXPs (I think). It has been said somewhere that OXPs will work with the PC version as long as the plist files are not XML. I have tried with the wolf mk 2 oxp, but Oolite-PC seems not to be able to detect the OXP. It has been installed to oolite.app/AddOns/wolfmk2.oxp.

Can anyone help with this, or will even ASCII OXPs not work this way?
The AddOns directory is too far down - it should be in the same place as the oolite.app directory, not in the oolite.app directory.
Regards,
David Taylor.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work either...

My current structure is c:\GNUstep\Local\oolite-linux\AddOns\wolfMkII.oxp\<stuff>

I have added the wolfmk2-player as the player's ship in the save file, and Oolite bombs out saying that wolfmk2-player doesn't exist.

I've checked the shipdata.plist file, and it seems fine after my conversion to ASCII...
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

OK, weekly update time.

I've received the lancet and chaos monument models and textures from Rik.

Once I've worked out the plist information from Arnoud's outline, I will add them into the game.

I've started plotting out the spiral pattern of the graveyard. It's gonna be repetitive and boring to code, but it should look pretty good.

I still can't get OXPs to work...so I will continue with adding stuff directly to the oolite source plists.

I've built a model for a shuttlepod - the one man pod mentioned in the Dark Wheel. It's 4m long and about 2.5 to 3m wide. Once I've finished the texture I'l show you all. in the meantime, here's the blank textured version in Wings:
http://www.hughesd.co.uk/elite/content/ ... onisla.asp

Work work work... :wink:
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Selezen wrote:
I've received the lancet and chaos monument models and textures from Rik.
I just want to make clear to anyone reading this, the models and textures are A_H's work, not mine.

I just translate wings files into .dat and textures files and test them, A_H not having a working version of Oolite untill recently. Since I'm the only one running Oolite on OSX, it's simpler for me to do, with the OXP structures not fully (read: drag 'n drop) working under the other ports.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Just to clarify for anyone else reading this, the "Gravediggers" are:

Arexack_Heretic (Arnoud): models and textures.
Rxke (Rik): conversion of Arnoud's models into Oolite format from the source mesh.
Me: plist code and testing.

The graveyard is a team effort, not just one person's work. Everyone plays a part. Rik, you're just as valuable as the rest of us...
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

been havin a nightmare day to day attempting to convert plists to run oxps but with absolutely no joy at all - it just doesnt seem to register the changes that i have made - if i add them changes to already existing plists such as ship data i'm getting messages that say ship not recognised tc, also i cant get the walnut dash to run. i'm obviously messing up on converting the plists totally. is there ny advice that someone could give me please :cry:
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hi, milinks.
I'll probably sound as a complet B*st*rd, but this is not the place to post it... The chance you'll get a good reply is not assured...

I'll start a new topic in 'expansion packs' and copy your question there. If you can pipe in and say what what OS you're running, that'd be helpful, currently OSX, Linux and Windows all have different ways/quircks re: oxps.

Edit: the topic is located here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=7654#7654
Arexack_Heretic

heya!

Been awhile.

I haven't really done much work on the TOGY the last week,
I've been too busy trying to hook my ol' C64 up to my ol'PC.
I got the cable constructed, so maYBE i'LL TRY TOMORROW to get it to work. 8)

Did I mention I have procured a new keyboard?
Not sure I like it much the CAPS is too close to the 'A' IMO,
also the [backspace] is not in it's usual possition, generating at leat 2 extra keystrokes per error. (or complete gibberish, as the key at it's usual position is [home].

To the point:
What do you (Rik/Dave) want me to work on?
Riding the Rocket!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

yes. what are you gouys up to now? so much of the stuff up for show at the group is very goodlooking and promising.

would you like another hand with something?
Arexack_Heretic

That is a scary-looking avatar murgh!

Thanks for the offer.
We can always use more ideas and monuments.
Riding the Rocket!