Awesome Moments in Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Awesome Moments in Oolite

Post by Nemoricus »

Tell us about the amazing exploits that you have pulled off, the things that make others look on in awe.

Now, I don't have anything much to say myself. A few run-ins with six or more pirates at one time is about it, but I recently destroyed a Rogue Frigate. While this isn't a particularly impressive accomplishment (I sat outside plasma turret range and military lasered it to death), it was a bit of payback from the time I lost a ship to a Rogue Frigate before I knew how powerful they were. In fact, I installed the aft military laser after I had another frigate chase me over many kilometers before I could finally jumpdrive away from it.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I keep getting head butted by pirate fer-de-lance's they have kamikaze ai. Take them out at a distance, else they'll have you hitting space.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ClymAngus wrote:
I keep getting head butted by pirate fer-de-lance's they have kamikaze ai. Take them out at a distance, else they'll have you hitting space.
Are you sure you're not just zigging when you should'a zagged? :lol:
Squeek
Competent
Competent

Post by Squeek »

Well, this recent weekend my friend was playing over at my house, and we weren't going to help this guy being attacked by a Black Monk gunship. But then the guy was like, "I have to provide for my litter", and I'm like, "Oh, (censored), that guy has kids. Fire at will."

It was a losing battle, and in a last ditch effort, I told my friend to ram the gunship. He did. I like to think he damaged it sufficiently or killed it. It was clean, so no bounty.

Well, at least we died for a good cause.

True story.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

ClymAngus wrote:
If you are playing with the trunk version, I can tell you collision detection settings which pretty much prevent that from happening. The original values did lead to too much frustration for me...

I also have the impression that the enemy ships energy isn't taken into account during collisions, only speed and mass, but I may be wrong. Guess I'll need to have a look there and see if I can bring the energy into account. In the novellas the pilots sometimes deliberately ram enemy ships when they were low on power, slicing through them like a hot knife through butter. I wonder if it's possible to do something like this with Oolites collision algorithms.

Screet
Zanasj
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zanasj »

I was once fighting a bunch of pirates, probably a Random Hits pirate group. The lead ship dropped a Q-mine. I had enough fuel and injectors, so I wasn't worried. I started to run, when suddenly... hullbang.ogg! The mine was gone - I had collided with it.
Speaking of collisions, Asps 2 and 4 tend to kamikaze every now and then.

I once scooped up Eric Walch.

The nova mission was pretty awesome - Deposed triggered it for me. Due to the sheer awesomeness and a couple of servings of pure, undiluted existential terror, I ended up "cheating", kind of, by gnxvat shry sebz gur fha orsber qbpxvat. So after I was safe and still in the same galaxy, I thought "I'll jump in and take a look from a safe distance." There were asteroids near the W beacon, so I decided to mine them to get a souvenir. "Ooh, a pretty orange asteroid! Waitaminute, it vaporized. Oh dear, cabin temperature is rising..."
Outer Space Anchovies Against Global Warming
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Squeek wrote:
Well, this recent weekend my friend was playing over at my house, and we weren't going to help this guy being attacked by a Black Monk gunship. But then the guy was like, "I have to provide for my litter", and I'm like, "Oh, (censored), that guy has kids. Fire at will."

It was a losing battle, and in a last ditch effort, I told my friend to ram the gunship. He did. I like to think he damaged it sufficiently or killed it. It was clean, so no bounty.

True story.
Yeah, I've only beaten one of those things once and that was by flying my ship round a station and watching the gunship slam head first into the landing bay. I didn't get the kill but very satisfying none the less. It also powered several rounds into the station before it crashed into it, releasing the fighters.

It took 2 days, a bad nappy and a c**ppy morning at work to finally wipe the smile off my face.
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

Haven’t really done much dog fighting yet so this may be a common thing.

After a boring evening trading in my Boa MKII I jumped into a military spec cobra to go pirate hunting and let of some steam. After a fierce fight with a group of them, I had the soul survivor in my sights. She was leaking plasma(or whatever) and thought it was a sure kill. Next thing I see is a blue disc forming, the B***h is going into hyperspace and is going to escape!!! So I follow her into the wormhole. Out the other side, the last thing I see is the pirate’s arse before its “press space commander”. :shock:

Great fun though. :)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Zanasj wrote:
The lead ship dropped a Q-mine. I had enough fuel and injectors, so I wasn't worried. I started to run, when suddenly... hullbang.ogg! The mine was gone - I had collided with it.
Hehe! I did once try the Jabberwocky. Bad decision! The ship ejects cargo and mines in front of it instead of behind. Every q-mine I launched did crash into my cockpit :shock:

Those toys are really annoying anyway. I've seen navy fleet battles with Thargoids where the Thargs did launch a q-mine and vaporized both fleets with me panicking away on injectors being the sole survivor.

Another time those Thargs did attack a space bar. Somehow I preferred to get a new contract and docked. Bad decision: after a few seconds I was force-launched into a blue sphere and then asked to press space...

Screet
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

ClymAngus wrote:
Squeek wrote:

True story.
Yeah, I've only beaten one of those things once and that was by flying my ship round a station and watching the gunship slam head first into the landing bay. I didn't get the kill but very satisfying none the less. It also powered several rounds into the station before it crashed into it, releasing the fighters.

It took 2 days, a bad nappy and a c**ppy morning at work to finally wipe the smile off my face.
Ahem…..

I’ve got a confession to make.

You see, I was short on cash earlier in my career and need funds quick. When the hooded boys offered to bail me out, I was delighted. I was not so delighted when I failed to make payment and was hunted across the galaxy by the dreaded Gunboats. Surely the most fearsome adversaries I have faced in this game.

Having no resent save file to fall back on, I had to resort to deleting the offending oxp. I’m so ashamed. :oops:

Anyway, when I grow up I wanna be a Black Monk debt collector. Maybe the coolest job in the Ooniverse. 8)
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Screet wrote:
Another time those Thargs did attack a space bar. Somehow I preferred to get a new contract and docked. Bad decision: after a few seconds I was force-launched into a blue sphere and then asked to press space...
I've seen a public asteroid destroyed by a Q-bomb once, only to have been replaced when I left the local station…
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

I'm still proud of my confirmed killing of a pirate Sidewinder with a 1 tonne cannister of Food and a dab of WFI during a hot furball and my mili-laser cooked.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Squeek
Competent
Competent

Post by Squeek »

What does "WFI" stand for?

And I'm assuming you made him crash into the food canister? Bad-***.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

WFI = WitchFuel Injector

I presume the Cap'n cleverly accelerated hard just as he ejected the cargo pod - therefore boosting its ejection speed and subsequent forward velocity and thus turned it into a blunt nosed 1tc KEP*

*Kinetic Energy Penetrator (i.e. anything that's heavy but has no additional explosives fitted, relying purely on its velocity to supply the destructive force)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Correct, DH. At the time, I was chasing an FdL, but my forward mili-laser was redlined. I had a half dozen other pirates crawling over my iron ass and the Sidewinder just came up from beneath me. I was actually trying to toggle the ECM but hit the 'D' button instead. Next thing I saw was "Food Ejected" followed by "Bounty: 22 Cr" and my credit rating incremented by 22.1 Cr. I like to think that the container was filled with chocolate cake so I can say that the pilot suffered 'DEath by Chocolate'... :twisted:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!