I may have found the reason for the infinite rank bug

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I may have found the reason for the infinite rank bug

Post by Lestradae »

I may have found the reason for the bug that would produce a carrier or station which couldn't be brought down, but would raise the player's rank through the roof by awarding one rank for every shot.

I did some, erm, target practice, with a test-savegame Commander in a maxxed-out Juggernaut plutonium ass, onto a, hm, GalCop station. It was full of trumbles! That's why I did it!

Anyways, after some time the station started to went plasma and the missile lock went away - "target lost" was messaged every shot - but then the target reactivated.

I think the entities this happens with are being made indestructible by actually being destroyed (1 rank awarded) and being respawned immediately in the same position, but with the same energy low as before!

So, every further shot destroys the entity again, awarding 1 rank, respawning the entity with nearly no energy, and so on.

Why this can supposedly happen with no-main station entities no idea, but perhaps this respawning could also bring indestructible entities back to full energy?

Another solution could be to have no indestructible entities in the game, just very difficult ones. Can't see where the problem would be with a main station with energy 100.000 and 100 energy recharge rate.

8)

L
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Re: I may have found the reason for the infinite rank bug

Post by Cmdr James »

Lestradae wrote:
Another solution could be to have no indestructible entities in the game, just very difficult ones. Can't see where the problem would be with a main station with energy 100.000 and 100 energy recharge rate.
Give it time. Someone will build a seige engine/deathstar/atomic weapon and then where will we be :p
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

if(this.ship.position.distanceTo(this.ship.target.position) < 25) this.ship.target.explode(); :twisted:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
if(this.ship.position.distanceTo(this.ship.target.position) < 25) this.ship.target.explode(); :twisted:
:P :P
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

You'll be pleased to know that the problem with 'indestructible' main stations has been fixed already in 1.73, about 3 weeks ago.

What happens in trunk now, the indestructible main station will automagically deflect the last - killing - blow, niftly avoiding temporary death & adding nothing to the rank anymore.

Luckily for Trumble exterminators everywhere, you can still kill the main station using Thargoid's magic js code! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)