Laser temp gauge query

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Nijik
Competent
Competent

Laser temp gauge query

Post by Nijik »

After having a near miss by foolishly updating my 2006 ATI graphics drivers and subsequently screwing up Oolite in the process (blobby starfields, jaggy graphics, new driver not responding on Oolite startup and C prompt launch window having to be forced to close on exiting Oolite) I managed to recover the situation through a restore point, although unfortunately (or fortunately) I've lost the Catalyst control centre but I feel that's a small price to pay.
Anyway, and this may just be coincidental as I can't remember what happened before, I've now noticed that my laser temperature tops out before it gets to the end of the gauge, is this normal behaviour?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

this happens with me too, the gauge just doesn't quite get to the end before the laser stops firing, and i'm like 'aargh! i just need one or two more shots"! I've got an Nvidia brand graphics card so at least the poor programmers in ATI's openGL department are not responsible for this one, maybe we can explain it as a fail-safe feature built into the laser system and put a new dot at the end of the laser temp gauge to mark the cut-off point?
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Most commercially fitted lasers, particularly the high-quality Ingram supplied models, come with an integrated predictive thermal cut-out system. This system automatically prevents the laser from firing if the next shot is projected to cause the laser temperature to exceed the safe operating thresholds. Hence it is quite possible for the laser to cut out before the temperature gauge reaches the threshold temperature.

Foolish pilots have been known to tamper with the thermal cut-out for that 'one more shot' and more often than not have ended up with a smoldering pile of slag in their nosecone while the remaining pirates cluster around for an easy kill.

Ingram strongly recommends pilots do not attempt to 'service' their lasers themselves and instead return to an Ingram-certified repair and maintenance facility should any work on the laser system be required.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Nijik
Competent
Competent

Post by Nijik »

Cheers for the replies, sounds like it may have always been like this (by design according to Micha!) and I've only just noticed.
Doesn't appear to affect my gameplay, still fragging pirate ambushes for fun.