Confused - A Few Questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Confused - A Few Questions

Post by Hemlock »

Greetings to all. I am new to the board and to Oolite - despite my initial date of Forum registration, I kind of forgot about it for a while. I did have Elite on a Sinclair Spectrum too many years ago to be too comfortable with the aging process.

Nevertheless, I have a couple of questions. I hope that you can supply the answers. And not about docking...I bought a Docking Computer !

1. When I want to buy or sell 35 tons of something....Is there a way of effecting the buying or selling 35 tons all in one go rather than 1 ton at a time?
2. I have a minimal system on my laptop (I principally play on downtime at work). My memory is only 512 MB ..... could you recommend some memory friendly OXPs that will enhance my game play without killing my system?

3. I bought an Advanced Space Compass...I understand the principal but occasionally I get a marker "F" with a Triangle which I cannot seem to figure out....What is marker F please?

Thanks everyone in anticipation.
Commander Hemlock
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Confused - A Few Questions

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hemlock wrote:
Greetings to all. I am new to the board and to Oolite - despite my initial date of Forum registration, I kind of forgot about it for a while. I did have Elite on a Sinclair Spectrum too many years ago to be too comfortable with the aging process.

Nevertheless, I have a couple of questions. I hope that you can supply the answers. And not about docking...I bought a Docking Computer !

1. When I want to buy or sell 35 tons of something....Is there a way of effecting the buying or selling 35 tons all in one go rather than 1 ton at a time?

Thanks everyone in anticipation.
I can answer this one (I think - not in position to try at the moment) - simply hit "return" - Oolite will presume if you have stuff in your hold already you're trying to sell all of it and if you have non in your hold and there's lots in stock it will buy it all (up to your maximum available capacity or whatever is available - whichever is the lesser)

Oh, and welcome to the friendliest forum this side of Reidquat(tm)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

Regarding the trading question. Just select the commodity and press enter to buy all or sell all. Had the same problem myself, only the other way round. I didn’t know how to buy or sell in units of one. Funny how what is obvious to some is not to others.
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Welcome to another old/new commander.

Post by KZ9999 »

Azathoth wrote:
Regarding the trading question. Just select the commodity and press enter to buy all or sell all. Had the same problem myself, only the other way round. I didn’t know how to buy or sell in units of one. Funny how what is obvious to some is not to others.
Isn't that just the case. Rest assured this issue should be no more. The Revised OoliteRS (care of yours truly 8) ) covered every key action currently out there sorted in to logical groups. It will be part of the standard file set from 1.73 onwards. Cadet commanders can grab it here right now. As a side note, the commodities prices are fixed for the duration that you are in the system, so it doesn't matter if you buy in 1-2 unit lots or whole holds worth.

As for your other questions Commander Hemlock*.
Most of the OXPs don't place too much drag on most computer systems. Even something as massive as Real Shipyards tend no to be too heavy on most systems. The best rule of thumb I have is this: mission and equipment OXP's have little effect on lower power systems. It's the ones that add a lot of ships/objects tend to slow systems down, especially if they are heavy textured and your system has a lower powered graphics system. Remember OXPs are add-ons so if you install one and it slows down the game, just exit and deleted it and when you start Oolite again the game will restart at the old speed with no damage don.

A F marker on the Advanced Space Compass? The triangle shape indicates a beacon, usually a N for navigation or W for witchspace exit. F, that's got me stumped. If you have already installed any OXPs you may have added a new compass target, check the attached documents. Mind you, one of my more experienced compatriots might correct me on this one.

* Are you any relation to the famous Anime Captain?
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Welcome to another old/new commander.

Post by CptnEcho »

KZ9999 wrote:
Wouldn't that be Captain Harlock?
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The fuel stations use "F" on the ASC if you have my OXP for them installed. Also I think astro-factories in the Commies OXP also use that beacon code.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Hemlock wrote:

3. I bought an Advanced Space Compass...I understand the principal but occasionally I get a marker "F" with a Triangle which I cannot seem to figure out....What is marker F please?
Welcome back to this board. Your questions are already answered. I just want to add:

1) You can also use your mouse to select a commodity and than double-click to buy/sell everything. I prefer this method over the cursors.

3) Why not just fly to that F-beacon and find out yourselves. That is why its there in the first place: it wants to be found :!:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Thargoid wrote:
The fuel stations use "F" on the ASC if you have my OXP for them installed. Also I think astro-factories in the Commies OXP also use that beacon code.
The "F" astro-factories are from the Dictatorships OXP.

Edit: or maybe they're "A"s ... :oops:
Last edited by Disembodied on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

welcome to the board hemlock!!! its a very friendly place and lots of fun...

unless youre a rock hermit! :lol: :twisted:

B
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Welcome to another old/new commander.

Post by Hemlock »

KZ9999 wrote:

Er no relation to Captains Hemlock or Harlock. I was Hemlock many long years before Anime made the trek west.

I am very grateful for all the responses. Thank you very much.

H
Commander Hemlock
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Eric Walch wrote:

3) Why not just fly to that F-beacon and find out yourselves. That is why its there in the first place: it wants to be found :!:

Thanks Eric....I did just that :D

The System was a Communist system...and I discovered:
Marker F is the Riinus Collective ZGF
Marker A is the Astromine Penal Colony

Both seem to have fuel and some commodities selling at better prices..probably not always....but anyway.

Thanks to everyone again. And a note to self....read the OXP notes eh?
Commander Hemlock
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Thargoid wrote:
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches/scanner_icon
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Disembodied wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
The "F" astro-factories are from the Dictatorships OXP.

Edit: or maybe they're "A"s ... :oops:
F Factory (SLAPU; СЛАПУ).
A Astromine (gulag; ГУЛАГ).
:arrow: No trumbles!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I've got a question about that patch... how would you define the scanner icon exactly?

TIA

Kaks
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Kaks wrote:
I've got a question about that patch... how would you define the scanner icon exactly?
Same as for missiles.

Putting the following text in Config/descriptions.plist in the Fuel Station OXP will provide an icon somewhat resembling a typical pump at a petrol station:

Code: Select all

{
        "fuelStation_location" = 
        (
        1,      2,
        -3,     2,
        -3,     -4,
        3,      -4,
        3,      4,
        -3,     4,
        -3,     3,
        2,      3,
        2,      -3,
        1,      -3
        );
}