Backing RS out of an Install

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Backing RS out of an Install

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Yes, I know. Just remove the OXP.

But, since it makes some very wide-spread changes, changes tech levels on equipment, etc. - What is required to go from an RS environment to a non-RS environment and preserve as much of the sanctity of my save-game file as possible? I am currently flying my original Coby3; I DO have the RS NEU, but no cloak, MASC, or Jammer. I don't mind editting a save-game file, and fully intend to... I was going to remove the NEU and add-in a lower-EU upgrade (Military, I guess?) and "credit" myself the coinage back. What other changes would I need to make?

@L
This isn't a complaint against RS or the upcoming OSE. I'm just wanting to drop back closer to "stock". I like a lot of what RS in giving me all the various ships to experience, but am wanting to be a bit more selective on what ships I see now. Star Trek-esque ships, the Merlin/Kestrel, and a few others are going bye-bye.

Someone - Please remodel the Merlin/Kestrel?? I like the ships, but at their current sizes, I don't feel they are fair. Size them on par with the originals, albeit on the lower end, and they'd be nice.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Backing RS out of an Install

Post by Screet »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
What is required to go from an RS environment to a non-RS environment and preserve as much of the sanctity of my save-game file as possible? I am currently flying my original Coby3; I DO have the RS NEU, but no cloak, MASC, or Jammer. I don't mind editting a save-game file, and fully intend to... I was going to remove the NEU and add-in a lower-EU upgrade (Military, I guess?) and "credit" myself the coinage back. What other changes would I need to make?
There's really not much to think of: The NEU, Cloak, MASC and JAMMER do stay if you remove RS, as those are provided from Oolite itself, RS just changes the scheme by which they can be accessed.

If you fly a RS ship, you will need to install that OS, but that's not the case as you report it. Otherwise your commander would have a questionmark as ship and then you know you need to install that ships OXP (or RS) before you can proceed ;)

If you use missiles/bombs which come with RS or (more likely) it's successor OSE, those will be gone after uninstallation of RS. You can sell them before uninstalling and then reequip your ship...or find the OXPs which provide those weapons and then keep them.
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Someone - Please remodel the Merlin/Kestrel?? I like the ships, but at their current sizes, I don't feel they are fair. Size them on par with the originals, albeit on the lower end, and they'd be nice.
The Merlin is more tiny than a cargo container...a crash with a Thargon can send it flying into odd directions for quite some time...and NPCs really have a difficulty to hit it, thus it's unfair to fly one. However, I really like the model...I'd also like it to be scaled up.

Screet
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Backing RS out of an Install

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
If you use missiles/bombs which come with RS or (more likely) it's successor OSE, those will be gone after uninstallation of RS. You can sell them before uninstalling and then reequip your ship...or find the OXPs which provide those weapons and then keep them.
??? you mean missiles&bombs ??? that is from Ramirez and not from RS.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

M&B 2.0 has been included inside OSE, but not RS if I remember correctly.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
M&B 2.0 has been included inside OSE, but not RS if I remember correctly.
But why include an oxp that is fully in development inside an other oxp. When Ramirez has an update you can't use it but have to wait until a new version of ose before you can use such updates. Currently M&B overwrites 2 native oolite files. I already warned Ramirez in the past that if other oxp's will do the same overwriting, only the last changes will survive. Ramirez now has changed it for a next release and very likely will remove this dependancy in a future release. It is just stupid that if one author fixes a bug, an other puts potential buggy stuff back in ose.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@Eric Walch:

OSE is still a long ways off, M&B is not included into RS 3.02b, and if Ramirez updates his oxp again, I will also update OSE with his changes.

I will also provide easy step-by-step instructions for players to update OSE with oxps merged in which's original was upgraded since OSE's last version came out. That's not so complicated.

M&B was included because OSE gives NPC ships much more and diverse equipment. Specific ships now get, amongst other things, specific missiles. And it was just not practical (and slowed the game down massively for reasons unknown to me) to let the missiles stay a dependency.

Before OSE comes out, besides the beta-testers I will publish a beta-test link on the boards so that all the really competent people can also have a look at it before I "officially" publish it. So that it's as bug-free as possible when it's out.

Hope that info helps.

PS: @Cmd. Cheyd - Screet already said everything that is to be said about de-installing RS :wink: