the deepspace HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

harry747
Deadly
Deadly

the deepspace HUD

Post by harry747 »

i just installed the deepspacehud.oxp. i like the general design, but there's a couple of things i don't like.

- the scanner display is smaller.
- there's that yellow dot in the middle of the space compass, which is actually the pitch and roll indicators. it would be better if those indicators had their own strips above and to the right of the space compass. then the speed could go into a bar on the left and maybe a yaw indicator below...
- there's this green area in the center of the crosshairs. not a good idea because it makes it harder to see (and aim at) attacking ships. that area should be completely transparent.
- the crosshairs also appear in the local chart, planet info and other screens. not ideal.

can anyone tell me how to change those things?
tomsk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tomsk »

Just edit the .plist file.
It's pretty self explanatory.
Start by chnaging one thing at a time to see the effect.
I created my own custom HUD by modifying the Military HUD just by trial and error.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: the deepspace HUD

Post by Screet »

harry747 wrote:
i just installed the deepspacehud.oxp. i like the general design, but there's a couple of things i don't like.
Funny, almost identical to the suggestions I made in the HUD thread one or two days ago...

The compass with Pitch/Roll Info...I found that not too bad, as with 0 pitch/roll those dots can be used pretty nicely to properly align with the "N" triangle ;)

Since Deepspace HUD does use a background image, it is probably easier for you to get the Medusa HUD and modify that. DeepSpace said he's currently busy porting other things to Oolite, thus the DS-HUD will stay as it is for some time - unless you are going to modify the image yourself ;)

Screet
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

harry747 wrote:
On a Mac you won't be seeing the plist ( or any other files ) inside deepspacehud.oxp. You'll first need to right-click(or ctrl-click) it > Show Package Contents!

Cheers,

Kaks.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

Screet wrote:
... the DS-HUD will stay as it is for some time - unless you are going to modify the image yourself ;)
hm, that shouldn't be too hard...
Kaks wrote:
On a Mac you won't be seeing the plist ( or any other files ) inside deepspacehud.oxp. You'll first need to right-click(or ctrl-click) it > Show Package Contents!
I know that.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

Hey hey hey :o A thread dedicated to my HUD and I didn't post it hee hee. :)
I like the suggestions, I think once I've finished doing my current project, I will be coming back to the HUD. I like it as is, but its fair point about all the suggestions. I'll probably do a new hud (similar design) but with some of these suggestions put in. I shall call it..... DeepSpace HUD II

:lol:
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"