Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

keyconfig with an SV (Swedish) keyboard

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

govert
Competent
Competent

keyconfig with an SV (Swedish) keyboard

Post by govert »

I have tried to configure the keyconfig.plist to use my swedish keys, like "å" "ö" and "ä" , but it doesn't seem to work.

Basically no keys work that aren't at the same place as the default US keyboard.

An example:
next / prevous target. Configured as "+" / "-" in keyconfig.
Neither of the following works:
* Pressing the swedish "+" or "-" key
* Pressing the key corresponding to the US "+" or "-" key

any ideas?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I find that the =/+ key doesn’t work regardless of keyboard layout (and whether it’s assigned as = or +), the Swedish - key does, and the +/- keys on the keypad do. I haven’t tried Å, Ä and Ö, but I’m not surprised they don’t work.

Unfortunately, this is due to the deficient design of SDL. (It’s a library that takes the first part of Einstein’s Razor to heart, but ignores the second part.) Completely revamping input management, with solid per-platform implementations, is one of those things I’d like to do if I was spending five times as much time on Oolite as I am. (Come to think of it, it’s one of the first things I started working on back in the dawn of time before 1.65…)
govert
Competent
Competent

Post by govert »

Einstein's Razor?
Is that a relativistic version of Ocham's?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

From wikiquotes:
Dubbed ''Einstein's razor, it is used when an appeal to Occam's razor results in an over-simplified explanation insufficient to meet needs or goals.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmdr James wrote:
From wikiquotes:
Dubbed ''Einstein's razor, it is used when an appeal to Occam's razor results in an over-simplified explanation insufficient to meet needs or goals.
Where “it” refers to the badly-mangled quote along the lines of “everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler”. SDL tends to go for too simple, meaning it’s easy to get started on a game but impossible to actually implement really good behaviour.