Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Beginner questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DkryptX
Above Average
Above Average

Post by DkryptX »

I installed the add packs and your add here, so far I haven't gotten any good deals
tomsk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tomsk »

DkryptX wrote:
I installed the add packs and your add here, so far I haven't gotten any good deals
I only know of one con-store in G1 that will always give 100+Cr for food and textiles.
My fist ship upgrade was to a Strelka Cruiseliner. Cost @~250,000Cr but has a 155 ton cargo capacity.

If you want to make some serious amount of money you need to start doing cargo runs. Once you get a good reputation (complete 7 runs) you'll start getting offered contracts that will make 100,000Cr (or more) profit.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

@ DkryptX: if you install the M-Pack (rusties) OXP you could think about trading in your Cobra III for an old scow with a larger cargo bay. Also, it's perfectly legal (and often very profitable) to buy Narcotics from a Constore and sell them at a main station. Just don't leave the main station with any still in your cargo bay!
PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PhilHibbs »

I only know of one con-store in G1 that will always give 100+Cr for food and textiles.
What's a con-store?
tomsk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tomsk »

A con-store is a (super)market where you can trade. They can be found near the witchpoint beacon when you enter a system from hyperspace.

They're part of the 'your ad here' oxp.
DkryptX
Above Average
Above Average

Post by DkryptX »

which constore has the 100+ food?

I installed your add here with a single pack, and I'm having a hard time finding constores. and where can I get new ships? most of the time I only see an adder or a cobra mk1
PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PhilHibbs »

DkryptX wrote:
...and where can I get new ships? most of the time I only see an adder or a cobra mk1
High-tech systems tend to have the best selection of ships (basic game).
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

DkryptX wrote:
where can I get new ships? most of the time I only see an adder or a cobra mk1
Maybe you visit too many low-tech worlds ;) The shiptypes are linked to a tech level range. You probably want to visit one of the higher level tech worlds and see what they have.

More shiptype variants you can get with the realistic shipyards oxp. However, if you buy a RS specific ship, you cannot uninstall RS until you switched back to a non-RS ship.

Screet
DkryptX
Above Average
Above Average

Post by DkryptX »

i looked at RS, I'm trying not to add to many mods especially major ones for a bit, trying to see how the original elite was, but whats a good tech level to look for?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

DkryptX wrote:
i looked at RS, I'm trying not to add to many mods especially major ones for a bit, trying to see how the original elite was, but whats a good tech level to look for?
My guess would be 12+, but that's really only a guess.

Screet
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

DkryptX wrote:
... I'm having a hard time finding constores.
Constores only appear in systems with a government level better than Anarchy and with a population of more than 4 billion.
rossdv8
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by rossdv8 »

Heh... The old Elite way. In Oolite it is actually a lot easier. Fly up to the beacon between the planet and the station and then just point to the station. Fly up to the entrance and hold still just in front of it. Then when the entrance is almost horizontal go in full speed.
There is so much new stuff in this game and so many little extras that it is like a whole new game. I'm finding it just as addictive as when I got my original disk back then. :-)

Thanks to the people who post all these new hints on this forum.

Cheers,

RossD
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You will find that probably one of the best things about Oolite is that you discover new things almost every day. There are quite a few little features/effects/gameplay enhancements etc. which are disabled in the default game, but you can find out about them by searching through the forums and the wiki, or by looking at the data files or sometimes even by chance.

A friend of mine had told me when he first saw Oolite: Well, it's nice, but graphics are quite simplistic, aren't they? Then he saw enhanced nebulae and stars and said: Cool, this looks very pretty. Then he saw textured planets and said: This is quite amazing. Then he saw Griff's normal mapped ships and stations on the development version and said: Wow! Super graphics! What system do I need to get things like this? Almost every second day he was going to a higher level of wowness. And that's just regarding graphics. He has not yet seen any gameplay related changes, but some are there waiting for the new Ooliteer to discover them.

So, keep in mind that there is plenty of fun in discovering the secrets. Dive in and enjoy your trip to the stars.
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

another_commander wrote:
You will find that probably one of the best things about Oolite is that you discover new things almost every day. There are quite a few little features/effects/gameplay enhancements etc. which are disabled in the default game, but you can find out about them by searching through the forums and the wiki, or by looking at the data files or sometimes even by chance.

A friend of mine had told me when he first saw Oolite: Well, it's nice, but graphics are quite simplistic, aren't they? Then he saw enhanced nebulae and stars and said: Cool, this looks very pretty. Then he saw textured planets and said: This is quite amazing. Then he saw Griff's normal mapped ships and stations on the development version and said: Wow! Super graphics! What system do I need to get things like this? Almost every second day he was going to a higher level of wowness. And that's just regarding graphics. He has not yet seen any gameplay related changes, but some are there waiting for the new Ooliteer to discover them.

So, keep in mind that there is plenty of fun in discovering the secrets. Dive in and enjoy your trip to the stars.
wot he said... this is why the game is so cool... its elite with all the imaginary stuff actually hidden in there somewhere!
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.