Crashing on Exit

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

shadowfirebird
Average
Average

Crashing on Exit

Post by shadowfirebird »

1.72.2; Ubuntu Linux 8.04; Some sort of ATI graphics card (!)

Does anyone else get a complete hang when they click to exit Oolite? I have to terminate the process to end the program. (For Linux-heads: I actually have to use the dreaded kill -9!) The logs show nothing.

Obviously not a massive bug, but annoying, and perhaps the symptom of something bigger that should be fixed? Anyone know how I can get more information?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Crashing on Exit

Post by Screet »

shadowfirebird wrote:
1.72.2; Ubuntu Linux 8.04; Some sort of ATI graphics card (!)

Does anyone else get a complete hang when they click to exit Oolite? I have to terminate the process to end the program. (For Linux-heads: I actually have to use the dreaded kill -9!) The logs show nothing.

Obviously not a massive bug, but annoying, and perhaps the symptom of something bigger that should be fixed? Anyone know how I can get more information?
Oolite writes down a logfile (and keeps the most recent log by renaming it). Probably more information can be found in stderr.txt.

Since I use vista, I cannot tell you where to find these files in your linux installation, but those files will be there, too.

Screet
shadowfirebird
Average
Average

Post by shadowfirebird »

Thanks for that, but there doesn't appear to be anything useful in either of these.

For the record, standard output:

Code: Select all

$ oolite
.:3: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
<plist version="1.0">
                    ^
Killed

Erk. It looks like Oolite died with an error. When making an error
report, please copy + paste the log above into the report.

(Press Ctrl-C to continue)
$
Logfile:

Code: Select all

OOLogging internal - Inited: ERROR: OOLoggingInit() has not been called.
[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.72.2 (x86-32 test release) under Linux at 2009-02-23 15:35:02 +0000.
1 processor detected.
Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 1280 x 1024
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.3.0 ("1.3 Mesa 7.0.3-rc2")
Vendor: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
Renderer: Mesa DRI R200 20060602 AGP 8x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (45):
GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod 
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: ---> OXP search paths:
("/usr/lib/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources", AddOns, "/home/andy/.Oolite/AddOns")
[dataCache.upToDate]: Data cache is up to date.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts: "oolite-cloaking-device" 1.72.2, "oolite-constrictor-hunt" 1.72.2, "oolite-nova" 1.72.2, "oolite-thargoid-plans" 1.72.2, "oolite-trumbles" 1.72.2
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2009-02-23 15:35:13 +0000.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Both of those look fairly normal (give or take the killed warning in StdErr). Not sure about the very first line of the log though, will have a look at home tonight.

I've got 1.72.2 running (and exiting) quite happily on my machine at home (Ubuntu 8.10), but other than that I'm just finding my feet with Linux (having installed it a few days ago for the first time) so can't be much more help I'm afraid.

Oh, and a belated welcome, greetings, salutation and alien hiya to the board, as that seems to have been overlooked.
shadowfirebird
Average
Average

Post by shadowfirebird »

It's cool. Thank you. It's brilliant to be playing Elite again after a gap of -- oh my -- twenty-five years?! (Although I miss my BBC analogue joystick.)

I know a bit about Linux. Pardon me if you already know this:

1) You'll find the log in your .Oolite directory which is underneath your home directory. (Files starting with a dot are often invisible, though -- you may have to fiddle with your file viewer.)

2) To see the standard error, run Oolite by typing 'oolite' in a terminal, rather than from the menus.