6%
Above 60
1%

Total votes: 71

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Just past 40 here (Well 41 actually), so had to vote 40-50.

Started playing on the C64 in 1984. Ordered it from the UK as it had not been released back home yet. (Still have the box with all content and the receipt in it). Strange thing was, we were about 10-15 friends who had C64s, but only I played Elite. Finally after about one year a one other guy started, but he couldn't leave it alone and became Elite before me. (School and military service came in the way)

I actually only made Elite on the C64 many years later when I by chance found out how you could look into the save game to see how far away you were from elite. Turned out that I had 86 kills left, so I played myself up to Elite that night.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Post by KZ9999 »

This commander belongs to the 30 something group.

I don't feel that Elite will ever die in spirit. Even if should Oolite fall by the wayside in the future (perish the thought) no doubt some one will create another recreation to replace it.

Classic games never die, the just get reinterpreted.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
captain122
Above Average
Above Average

Post by captain122 »

Oolite will last quite a while longer, I would think that most of the younglings like myself would spread the game and keep playing.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

The thing is with the number of kills needed I honestly can't see how someone would be able to get to elite on a specy. You would have to play for days with no saves and hope there wasn't a crash.

Even now it takes a month or 2 to get to elite with all the add ons. More if your not really going for it.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

ClymAngus wrote:
The thing is with the number of kills needed I honestly can't see how someone would be able to get to elite on a specy. You would have to play for days with no saves and hope there wasn't a crash.
Believe it or not, you could save the game on a speccy: all you needed was a tape recorder & a C10 (back in the day they used to sell C10 'computer cassettes')...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've still got a stack of Boots own brand C15's (7 and a half minutes each side) full of turbo load versions of the games I owned - they loaded faster cracked and turbo'd off the cassette then they did off the 1541 floppy drive. :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

qwow, iv been wanting to make a post like this, but thought it would be rude, good idea
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

30 something for me..... been playing computer games since i was a kid too

had elite on my brothers old atari st, have a ps3 now.
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.