Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

.obj to .dat email idea (moved by me)

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Deadly
Deadly

.obj to .dat email idea (moved by me)

Post by 0235 »

its me again, moaning about .obj to .dat conversions for the billionth time, but i had an idea. if someone set up somethin on the wiki, mabey an email adress, which was linked to someone with a .obj to a .dat converter, then they could receive all of the OXP's and then send them back.

this is only an idea, and i have no idea how many would be received, but i think it would help OXP builders, or it could just be me.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

We have several Win users (me too) who are converting models without such a 'service'. You'll learn a lot more about modelling and Oolite without a auto-conversion - even reckognizing errors .-) So I think there is no need for this.

Or do you have a specific problem? Then you could upload your files (*.wings, *.obj, *.mtl, *.png) on a file-hoster of your choice and other board members can take a look. A proven way I'd think and really not so much work.
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

the problem is i cant find any instructions that i understand, i have found some, but they are to vauge, for me that is, and what i nedd is a guide that literaly tells you everything.
But my main problem is that the program used, python, is different to the one used in the instructions, and it isnt DOS anymore, and i either cant find it, or just have overlooked it.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I'm not sure I can understand that. The steps to do the conversion are not so difficult.Image

1. Python 2.5 is still available (latest version is 3.0, but wasn't there a incompatibility?). It's no more DOS 6.x, but still working with a DOS-Box. Python usually configures the PATHes on it's own, so you don't have to take care of it. I'd suggest to install 2.5.x.
2. If you have the Wings stuff ready for export (means a model with auv_map), simply use the Wavefront (obj) exporter -> configure it!!! (see pic, Steps 1+2)
3. Copy the obj2DatTex.py to your folder where the model is saved to. The converters can be downloaded from BerliOS, or ask the dev-team or download it here (3 KB).
4. Open a DOS-Box and switch to the folder with the model (and script).
5. type in: obj2DatTex.py mymodel.obj. (see pic, Step 3)

That's it! Hope this helps a little bit :-)
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

excellent, thanks so much. ill try it as soon as possible.