Idea: an expansion to Thargoids wonderful Welcome Mat

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Divas Kind Imps
Average
Average

Idea: an expansion to Thargoids wonderful Welcome Mat

Post by Divas Kind Imps »

Like many other players of Oolite, I manage 15 min. 30 min there- and well, I forget just where things are in the Galaxy(ies). Sometimes, while fun, I jump to systems in search of a particular locale to pick-up that something special.

As an expansion to Welcome Mat, I imagine that once the game sets up a system, the Welcome Mat could data-dump "places of interest" as well. Looking for a Buoy Repair Facility? Not here? Head to the Sun and scoop 'n jump to the next system. A list of locations would likely be a boon to new players as well to kinda take out the "so where the hell do I go next"? syndrome.

I'd be willing to volunteer my limited abilities to help on this if others are interested.
As for the user name...

It is what happens when Thargoids become identity thieves and having ravaged an account to fund their war-efforts, leave your empty coffers and account profiles with re-engineered and totally Thargodized (a new verb?) name.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Firstly thanks for the compliment on the OXP ;) :oops:

What you suggest would be very simple to do, it's just an extension of the scan that WM already does. The only slight issue would be that you already get quite a screenful of information, so adding more (and being so specific as to list the places of interest individually, rather than just "Places of interest: 5" or somesuch) would I think be screen overload.

It might be possible with a limited-time in-flight mission screen ("Press F7 within 30s for more details Commander" stylie). I could give it some thought if people would be interested in that, and we could come up with some kind of list of what places of interest would be of interest (if that's not cyclical logic :lol: )
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

What do you mean by 'data-dump'?

If it just would be written in a commsMessage, I don't see the point of it. If you have forgotten where you met the Buoy Repair Factory 15 minutes ago, how would remember anything that was written on your screen for 6 seconds? We cannot scroll through past messages.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Log

Post by Gimi »

I mentioned this before, and I still think it is a good idea. There should be some sort of log available in Oolite. (Game log, not error log). A short config file could be used to let the user chose what is to be logged, including stuff like comms messages, visited systems, kills, market prices etc....

If this then could be made available as a sub menu for F5 or on F9 it would be great. This would solve part of the problem of too much information, but not the cluttered screen when the information is initially received. How about half and half. 5 places of interest on screen with the rest in the log.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Someone asked about a "ship's log" once; I believe another person responded by linking
here
and here
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

wackyman465 wrote:
Someone asked about a "ship's log" once; I believe another person responded by linking
here
and here
Yepp....

I got the message last time, so good call again.
This time I thought it could be a solution to a very busy communications log.

The fact that someone offered a solution, does not mean I have changed my mind or that I like that solution.

Currently just using notepad for the few things I want to jot down, (switch to window mode), but wish for more.
Also, it is not something I would expect anyone to give any priority, but just maybe it was really easy to do, like 2 min.
Last edited by Gimi on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I do agree that maybe it could be coded into a new release, on the 9 key; you could make your own entries and also insert market prices, kills, ship prices, fuel use...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

wackyman465 wrote:
...also insert market prices, kills, ship prices, fuel use...
My main question is still why on earth anyone would want to do that? All these things (except your kill-log, of course) only depend on Oolite's pseudo-random seeds, so they are really basically the same all over the place, give and take some random fluctuation. So I really don't get why you would want to keep a record of the market prices a couple of systems ago. If you return to that system, the market_random component will make for slightly different prices, so you will not meet your logged prices again. But in order to remember the general range you only need to go to any other system with the same economy, because from the engine's point of view all systems with same economy are the same. And there are only 8 economies in all the Ooniverse. For ship prices it's the same, only with techlevel. And the fuel use has no random component at all, it just equals the distance of your jump.

The bottom line is: What's the point of a log? (Sorry, no offense meant. I just really don't get it.)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Commander McLane wrote:
The bottom line is: What's the point of a log? (Sorry, no offense meant. I just really don't get it.)
I'm quite surprised that you of all people don't get it, after effectively preaching (amongst to others also to me) that Oolite was about the pictures in your head also!

It's atmospheric!

... to have a log, even if it is not the most practical thing in-game :wink:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

So sort of like the tourists guide to the galaxies?

Maybe with the words;

"Suppress Apprehension!"

Written in bold letters on the cover.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Lestradae wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
I'm quite surprised that you of all people don't get it, after effectively preaching (amongst to others also to me) that Oolite was about the pictures in your head also!

It's atmospheric!
Okay, I guess you got me there. :wink:

Nicely made, it would be atmospheric, you're right.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Gimi »

It's atmospheric!

... to have a log, even if it is not the most practical thing in-game
Thank you for putting it so eloquently. In addition, it gives potential. Mission texts could be put in there, and they might be good for future reference.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

So two questions now arise:

1) Would such a log be oxp-able somehow?

2) Will, if the answer to 1) should be yes, someone be found who actually does the oxp then?

I would sure use it, especially if it would save mission texts for future reference.