Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Space yards

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Space yards

Post by Alex »

Hi commanders,
Was just wondering if it's worth me downloading the shipyards. I have a 1.2GHz cpu 1 Gig Ram and a radeon graphics card with 512 meg on board. It doesn't handle shaders to well, but then I'm happy enough to play with them turned off. Good grief I was happy enough to play elite with just wire frames!! :lol:
Incase it matters I have 71 and 72 versions, not sure if it's 72.1 or .2
As a by the by; Does anyone know when the new Elite comes out? Will be fun to see if it comes anywhere near as good as Oolite.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: Space yards

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Alex wrote:
As a by the by; Does anyone know when the new Elite comes out? Will be fun to see if it comes anywhere near as good as Oolite.
The first question is presently anyone's guess. Personally, I'd say put it on your great-grandchildren's Christmas list. When they hit thirty.

As for the second question, the only improvement Elite IV can make is planetary landings (at the moment), online play (at the moment), fully player-customisable ship graphics (at the moment) and Extra-Vehicular Activity, on planets, stations, etc (at the moment).

But considering the pace at which Oolite is evolving, the above features may well have been implemented and optimised in Oolite before Frontier even confirms a release date for Elite IV.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Space yards

Post by Screet »

Alex wrote:
Hi commanders,
Was just wondering if it's worth me downloading the shipyards. I have a 1.2GHz cpu 1 Gig Ram and a radeon graphics card with 512 meg on board. It doesn't handle shaders to well, but then I'm happy enough to play with them turned off.
I guess the point that could give you trouble is the amount of RAM. I had oolite use over 1gb of ram and finally end up "out of memory" (though vista had over a gig free, some vista bug, it seems).

You will see many more ships, unless you download and install the oxp's from which it has been made up.

As you might guess, an oxp that big can come with some bugs, including bugs from the oxp's it is using. I was having fun with it, though. The creator of the shipyards package is currently overworking the whole thing, but it might take a while until that version is released.

That oxp is so big that the game crashes "out of memory" when you leave the beginning animation showing all ships running long enough - and it will crash before you have been able to see all ships. That both happens on my 2gb and 3gb machines!

On the other hand, if you do not have to pay for the line to download it, you might want to install it to see how many ships there are, and if it proves to be too demanding for your machine, you then could try to download the oxps containing the models you do like the most.

Screet
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ship Yards

Post by Alex »

Hi and Thanks for the quick response,
Basics say that my tdm (This Damn Machine) Doesn't have the grunt for it.
No worries there. Still having great fun with what tdm can handle.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Alex,

I think that 1 gig RAM is not enough.

For the RS version 3.02b that's published, I recommend at least 2GB RAM, 2GHz speed and a decent graphics card, with those specs it runs fluid.

Also the OS seems to play a role, without actively wanting to line in with the Windows bashers, Vista is, concerning memory usage, a pain in the ... you know.

Have fun with Oolite 8)

L
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Of course you can get most of the bits from RS individually, so if you are concerned about the machines abilities, you might be better to pick a handful of OXPs you are interested in.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

TDM

Post by Alex »

Hello and ta for all the info.
Apparently my tdm does handle ship yards, though still no stars and galaxy type impressions are reduced to blocks.
I put that down to ATI graphics driver.
Had to go through it and switch every thing off EXCEPT the recovery. Switching that off gives some funny resuts.. HAHAHa NOT.
For them that do not know what I'm talking about;
1.2Ghz cpu 1Gig ram and a woefully poor graphics card.
And still the bods that wrote the code for ship yards allow it to run freely.
So just another big Ta heaps.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Well, we already have planetary landings, and if you know how to do it, you can get customized player ship skins... but for the rest of those features, why not go with Infinity?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Deadly
Deadly

Re: ...

Post by 0235 »

Lestradae wrote:
Hi Alex,

I think that 1 gig RAM is not enough.

For the RS version 3.02b that's published, I recommend at least 2GB RAM, 2GHz speed and a decent graphics card, with those specs it runs fluid.

Also the OS seems to play a role, without actively wanting to line in with the Windows bashers, Vista is, concerning memory usage, a pain in the ... you know.

Have fun with Oolite 8)

L
wow, i can see why my Pc struggles, you need more than 1Gig! i have 1/2 a Gig, and my graphics card is rubbish. wow. my PC cant even handle freewaare games, how rubbish
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Commander McLane »

0235 wrote:
wow. my PC cant even handle freewaare games, how rubbish
Only if you equalize 'freeware' with 'low-spec'. Which is a wrong assumption.

It has to be said, though, that in principle Oolite is quite low-spec. And nobody forces you to install insanely resource-hungry OXPs. :wink:
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

sorry, that sounded wrong, and i see what you meen by i assumed that freeware = low spec, i just got wings 3D and GIMP, and they are both amazing, but i still cant beleive how rubbish my PC is