Cloak not playing fair

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

kendrone
Above Average
Above Average

Cloak not playing fair

Post by kendrone »

I went out to get the cloaking device. Jumped four galaxies in a matter of 10 minutes RT just for this cloak. I witchspace 7 times and come against my foes, one with the cargo. I scoop the cargo and it reads, picked up strange device etc. I press 0 and ....... nothing. No confirmation or error, not flicker, just nothing! I saved the file (damn me), and every load no change in that matter.

I decided to see what the save file said on this matter (i just had to know). Below shows what i saw:

As you can see, it says that the mission is COMPLETE (though what that 7 means i know not) yet i cannot use my cloak. How can i scratch pirates/police like that?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

CD defunct

Post by Lestradae »

Could be that you ran up against the problem detailed here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=5493

There is also a solution to the problem, kindly provided by another_commander.

By all means keep your savegame from before the CD encounter!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: CD defunct

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
Could be that you ran up against the problem detailed here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=5493

There is also a solution to the problem, kindly provided by another_commander.

By all means keep your savegame from before the CD encounter!
...and if that save file ain't available, then install RS, find a navy constitution and be sure to have several K available that you can spend.

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

or re-open your save game file and add:

Code: Select all

<key>EQ_CLOAKING_DEVICE</key>
	<true/>
between the dict tags below the <key>extra_equipment</key> entry...
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Cloak not playing fair

Post by Eric Walch »

kendrone wrote:
I went out to get the cloaking device. Jumped four galaxies in a matter of 10 minutes RT just for this cloak.
As mentioned by others: the cloaking device mission has a bug since 1.72. a lot of variables were renamed in this version and it appears one has been missed.

Editing the Cd in can be done but I would advise to open Oolite itself and fix the bug as mentioned. Than delete the next two lines from your saved game:

Code: Select all

<key>mission_cloak</key>
<string>COMPLETE</string>
This way the mission restarts as intended.

I was just surprised by the other things in your file:

None of the other mission was started. e.g mission_novacount increases for every jump the player makes in galaxy 4. Had you really the luck to end up in a system that immediately could sell you a new galaxtic jump?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Cloak not playing fair

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
I was just surprised by the other things in your file:

None of the other mission was started. e.g mission_novacount increases for every jump the player makes in galaxy 4. Had you really the luck to end up in a system that immediately could sell you a new galaxtic jump?
Then something seems to be broken! I've spent quite some time in G4, but novacount only went up to two in my file...which could explain why I did not get that mission even though I did read that doing the deposed mission, which forces the player to make an intergalactic jump, would also trigger the nova mission if it has not been done already...but for me, it did not happen.

That's why I am afraid that I have to travel around to G4 for the nova mission and then travel around to G4 again for the trident down...well, concerning money, I do not have to worry about that, but it feels a little bit strange. I read a discussion somewhere, asking the nova mission to be brought to another galaxy, but the result was that this could also lead to bugs.

Screet
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Teaching us how to cheat, thargoid, are we?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

wackyman465 wrote:
Teaching us how to cheat, thargoid, are we?
Moi? If I was to do that, I would have mentioned the JS console ;)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

JS console? where? :D :P
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
Then something seems to be broken! I've spent quite some time in G4, but novacount only went up to two in my file...which could explain why I did not get that mission even though I did read that doing the deposed mission, which forces the player to make an intergalactic jump, would also trigger the nova mission if it has not been done already...but for me, it did not happen.
I just think you Galactic jumped to early!. Novacount is normally always increasing in G4. Deposed is just resetting is to 0 on every jump to make sure the mission is not starting. About 5 jumps before deposed forces you to jump, it stops resetting. Deposes tells you to go to go to G5 and get the last instruction at a certain planet.
The nova mission should have happened just before you reached the planet for the last instructions. To me it looks you jumped immediately when you read about G-jumping without going for the final planet in G4 for some last minute instructions. (does your mission_deposed variable read: MISSION_COMPLETE ?)

The main problem with the nova mission is that it always leaves a nova system behind. In principle it is a random chosen system, but when playing deposed the odds are in a way that it is the crucial system in the middle of G4 that becomes a nova. Or more precise system 243 (= Soenisti). With that system gone, east-west traffic through G4 becomes a problem. Deposes now makes sure it happens a few jumps later and at least the Soenisti system stays intact.

And yes, nova will start after revisiting G4.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

wackyman465 wrote:
JS console? where? :D :P
You mean you use the debug console just for scripting and testing? :wink:
Last edited by Thargoid on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I don't speak JS... I wish cheating in Oolite was easier...
:twisted:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The console is simple, and very powerful. As it needs to be for scripting and testing, but very much open to abuse if you so wish.

Even more than save-game hacking if you're of the mind...
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

How dare you suggest such a thing!
*quickly hides text editor with open savegame*