Replacing Constores with Griff Trade outposts@Griff and Doc

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Of course I'm an idiot - because these will be on a Station AT the Witchspace beacon - d'oh - will fix....

(LB could use this one I guess on his Space Bars?)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

So, let's try that again...

Selezen wrote:
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

@Griff
When i am trying to change the png of happythrumble with the tesco one provided from DaddyHoggy or with the Lobbies can can lounge in the 1x2 billboard i only get a white billboard. Since that in those matters i am a compete idiot i assume that it is something obvious that i can not see :oops:
My only observation is that the happythrumble png is totally deferent from the others

Edit:
Maybe I am not a complete idiot after all.

The vertex and fragment files in griff’s example are wrong
I had to use instead of the:
griff_station_animated_w_rollbars.vertex
griff_station_animated_w_rollbars.fragment

those ones
griff_station_animated.vertex
griff_station_animated_billboard.fragment

Now the tescoo ad in in one of the 2 1x2 billboards of the tescoo station and it looks great.
Thanks DaddyHoogy :D
Althought in my personal opinion the firm name is almost on the top of the billboard. Maybe it would be better if you can move it more to the center
Can somebody do something for the rest firms.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hi Ark
Oops, now that i've had a proper look at the oxp i've just noticed that the animated billboard ads such as the 'happy trumble' and 'octobrandy' ads need to have this texture loaded into their alpha channel for them to display correctly (i think i was trying to emulate that effect you get when your Television set isn't tuned in properly):
i've fixed the lobbies can can lounge ones here:-
-
Hmm, this is going to a bit of a problem as mixing the 'rollbar' texture into the ad images is a bit of a pain and makes most of the final image transparent so i think your solution of using the different shaders is much better.

I've also made one other massive error for which i'm deeply sorry to everyone that's submitted ads with more than 2 frames - i told everybody to stack the animation frames in the wrong order! to get the animation to play correctly frame 1 needs to be at the top of the stack and the last frame at the bottom otherwise the animation plays in reverse!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Griff - 4 frame ordering won't matter for my CPS - DN billboard, nor Pangloss's LFT (really), but I will keep it in mind for subsequent ads!

@Ark - Yeh, There's a reason it's close to the top! I will try and rectify and resubmit!

Later,

DH

PS - Glad you like (at least in principal!)
Selezen wrote:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

If you want to add the rollbars effect i've written a guide on how to mix an image into another images alpha channel using GIMP here: http://www.box.net/shared/jk87l4f0gw
It's a bit old now but hopefully it will still be OK with the latest version of GIMP
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thanks Griff - I'll look into it for additional Ads.

@Ark - V3 - new logo at the suggestion of Gogz69 - I liked, so its in! (event though it's really intended for Sainsboory's)

Selezen wrote:
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

:lol:

Cheers. :wink:
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I have a problem, though - your ad here make my game crash while starting running under 1.72 (not under 1.71, though). It has nothing to do w/ other OXP's as I tested it individually.
Otherwise, they look great!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@wackyman - it'd be worth putting up the contents of your stderr file to see if that helps identify what's causing the problem - not on this thread though! Bug report would be more useful.

@Ark (and everybody else) working on Pi-42, but last night is catching up on me, so I'm going to bed!

@Griff - any reason why animation is 2 or 4 frames? Could it be 3, or 6 for example? Not for now, but for later...
Selezen wrote:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I'm not exactly sure how Ahrumans animated shader used for the trade outpost does it's magic but i think it can handle any number of frames you throw at it, even or odd numbered as long as the final image you paste all the frames into has a final size that is a 'power of 2' number (eg 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 etc pixels) this tends to be easier to achieve with a 2 or 4 frame animation and still have a nice canvas size for each individual frame.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

A non-power-of-two frame count would result in slight creeping effects, because the pixels from different frames wouldn’t line up. (Alignment requires that the height of the texture is divisible by the height of one frame, and all factors of a power of two are themselves powers of two.) How much this matters depends on whether you have sharp horizontal edges in your textures.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thanks for the explanation - so 2, 4 or 8 frames would be good then!
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

2 Frame pi-42, two different scales, as I think the smaller is a bit chunky (pixelated, simply with all the upscaling and downscaling from Doc's original constore texture). I will leave the choice to you.

Selezen wrote:
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

@ DaddyHoggy: The 3rd version of Tescoo oxpress really looks great in the billboard and also the Pi-42 ad. Now in the first 2 sets every billboard of the station has a different ad.

Set A: In the Pi-42 version of the station there are the Pi-42, happy trumble and madam hiss ads.
Set B: In the Tescoo oxpess version of the station there are the Tescoo oxpress, octobrandy and alcopills ads.

What I really want now is a non shader version for the cocktail_glass_ad and replacements for Griff_station_glow_ads and for griff_station_adring pngs

@ wackyman465: To what ad you are referring. Till now I haven’t experienced a crash (with 1.72.1) when I change the ads in Griff’s station. What exactly you did with that ad.

@ Little bear: If you inteand to use the cocktail class ad in the space bar just notify me. I am sure that I am going to find something else.