Err shreddies and a planet venting its atmosphere ?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Mort
Average
Average

Err shreddies and a planet venting its atmosphere ?

Post by Mort »

Hi guys,
Have you been around Eseslai near Zaonce recently, picked up a lot of ships loitering outside the space station and found a lot of shreddies left in the outer atmosphere (not on drugs well apart from cider), picked up about 5 shreddies and the atmosphere expanded and blew my ship up. Is this a bug (running realistic shipyards at the moment).

Interesting non the less wish i had saved my game to show you I did not imagine it.

:D
Bugger there goes the sound must pop in a new 6581
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Err shreddies and a planet venting its atmosphere ?

Post by Lestradae »

Mort wrote:
... the atmosphere expanded and blew my ship up. Is this a bug (running realistic shipyards at the moment).
I can at least guarantee that this can not be a bug of RS :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the game :)
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

sounds like a quirium mine?
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

jody b wrote:
I thought Q bombs didn't work near large mass- or is that just in the novella's?

Never used one myself...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Tivva wrote:
jody b wrote:
I thought Q bombs didn't work near large mass- or is that just in the novella's?

Never used one myself...
Yes, unfortunately this limitation is not coded in the game engine itself. (Should be done, probably; with a limit somewhere halfway between station and surface.)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Commander McLane wrote:
Tivva wrote:
jody b wrote:

Never used one myself...
Yes, unfortunately this limitation is not coded in the game engine itself. (Should be done, probably; with a limit somewhere halfway between station and surface.)
Done. Welcome to Status_Quo_Q-bomb.oxp (now version 1.1), a small OXP that adjusts the behaviour of Q-bombs to what we know from Status Quo: Close to a planet or the sun they don't explode.

EDIT: updated download link to version 1.1

EDIT2: changed link to wiki page
Last edited by Commander McLane on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Commander McLane wrote:
Done. Welcome to Status_Quo_Q-bomb.oxp, a small OXP that adjusts the behaviour of Q-bombs to what we know from Status Quo: Close to a planet or the sun they don't explode.
That sounds good...I often see very extreme Q-Bombings within the atmosphere of a planet.

Of course I did have some of my Judges target use Q-Bombs. Luckily they have this message so that it's typically safe to use injectors and run while oberserving the globe expand on the scanner, then turn around and watch the show (e.g. blowing up the bodyguards) from a safe distance.

However, sometimes I don't know what happened:
- during normal combat with almost full shields/energy, I'm suddenly dead...nothing to be heard, so I guess that I did not have been run over?!?
- one target on a mission did something...but I don't know what...the screen briefly flashed and I was instantly dead, but there was no Q-Bomb message and nothing to be seen on the scanner. Was that en E-Bomb?

I think it's nice, that NPCs do have such stuff in their arsenals...however I don't like it if I fail to run from such a blast, guess I don't have to like everything done to me or the game would not be fun ;)

About atmosphere: When I do fly around a planet, I can see the atmosphere....obviously only the lower parts. The reason is, that when I fly a course clear off the blue screen towards the station, I sometimes happen that my ship almost burns up because of atmosphere entry...so maybe it's not all visible or there is some bug concerning visible and invisible border of the atmosphere.

Still I do not understand why atmosphere heat as well as the sun's heat do not heat up my lasers...that could really change something for the tactics required.

Screet
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Commander McLane wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Tivva wrote:

Never used one myself...
Done. Welcome to Status_Quo_Q-bomb.oxp, a small OXP that adjusts the behaviour of Q-bombs to what we know from Status Quo: Close to a planet or the sun they don't explode.
Thanks Commander! I'll add a note to that effect to the Status Quo wiki page when it comes back up! Nice one!!

What happens to a q-bomb dropped near a planet then? Does it just sit there impotently like in the book?

Fiction follows reality follows fiction... :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

drew wrote:
Thanks Commander! I'll add a note to that effect to the Status Quo wiki page when it comes back up! Nice one!!
You're welcome. And thanks! :)
drew wrote:
What happens to a q-bomb dropped near a planet then? Does it just sit there impotently like in the book?
Yes. Although it doesn't sit, but continues to move with the velocity it was ejected with. Maybe it would be a good idea to let it come to a halt.

And in the moment I am working on making it re-scoopable for version 1.1. Doesn't work yet, though.
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

Commander McLane wrote:

drew wrote:
Yes. Although it doesn't sit, but continues to move with the velocity it was ejected with. Maybe it would be a good idea to let it come to a halt.

And in the moment I am working on making it re-scoopable for version 1.1. Doesn't work yet, though.
Thats a nice touch, so you have a chance to scoop it & Q bomb the scoundral that tried to fry you :lol:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Commander McLane wrote:
Cunning use of the becomeUncontrolledThargon command in the AI will let you do that quite easily. Have a look in either Probe or Drones for examples of re-scoopable launched entities.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Cunning use of the becomeUncontrolledThargon command in the AI will let you do that quite easily.
Yes, that's what I'm doing. However, Eric informed me that this alone is not enough. I also have to give it a CARGO_SCRIPTED_ITEM in shipdata. Which is why it didn't work before.