heavier controls please?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

heavier controls please?

Post by Yodeebe »

Hi ya.
Can a ships rotation, up/down & yaw ( :wink: ) be slowed down a bit? I prefer the 'heavier' feel.
I did try to re write a ships handling by copying the settings of a bandersnatch (i think it was) but it didn't make any difference.

Also, what exactly does pressing space while the program loads do? I've read a few posts where the solution is to do that.

Thanks.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I think you mean press shift rather than space. That clears the Oolite cache where it stores the OXP data and such. It uses that to speed up loading, but if you make changes to the data in them they will get missed as it will used the cache version.

Indeed if you try it with shift during game start-up (until you see the spinning Cobra) you may see your changes to the ships characteristics actually do something too ;)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Every ship handles differently. So you might try out a few ships to see what you like best, and copy the settings over to your favourite ship.

but remember, when you make your ship slower to rotate etc., it will be less agile in dogfights....
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Isn't there a sensitivity button for joysticks or have I imagined this?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: heavier controls please?

Post by Commander McLane »

jody b wrote:
Hi ya.
Can a ships rotation, up/down & yaw ( :wink: ) be slowed down a bit? I prefer the 'heavier' feel.
I did try to re write a ships handling by copying the settings of a bandersnatch (i think it was) but it didn't make any difference.
And, by the way, the settings which have to be changed are called max_flight_pitch, max_flight_roll, and (since 1.72) max_flight_yaw. I leave it to your imagination to figure out which changes what. :wink: Rule of thumb: smaller value, slower behaviour. 8)

And without pressing SHIFT while you start the game again you won't see any difference, as already explained.
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Goddit.
Thanks everyone.
The ship i like, control wize, unfortunately has not very good (too close) external views, and no left & right side views, due to bodywork. :(
Another option might be to increase the distance of the external views so i can scan the horizons, and/or change the camera possitions of side views. Is that possible?
I used to love the rotatable & zoomable external view mechanism on FFE (back in PC days).
you could pause the game, locate an incoming ship on external view, flip 180 degs, and zoom out until you get the incoming ship .
un pause & un zoom slowly & you can follow him in & watch yourself getting attacked.
Massive screen shot possibilities.
Is that possible for future oolites, or is the 'external view' just an image superimposed on the background?
It might also be considered to be cheating too much :oops:
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Isn't there a sensitivity button for joysticks or have I imagined this?
Some joysticks do have the capability for sensitivity adjustments via the installation software or the control settings available in the Operating System menus.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@CptnEcho - I meant within Oolite itself - I'm sure I had a button programmed on my dual analogue controller to toggle between damped for docking and sensitive manoeuvring and undamped for combat. Although I can't remember for certain - I've not had a lot of time to actually play the game recently!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
@CptnEcho - I meant within Oolite itself - I'm sure I had a button programmed on my dual analogue controller to toggle between damped for docking and sensitive manoeuvring and undamped for combat. Although I can't remember for certain - I've not had a lot of time to actually play the game recently!
I remember seeing something about that Oolite feature in a readme.txt file or a wiki page of some sort.
I've yet to use the feature or revisit the instructions for using it.

I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. It is precise enough for most situations (including docking manuvers).
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

jody b wrote:
The ship i like, control wize, unfortunately has not very good (too close) external views, and no left & right side views, due to bodywork. :(
Another option might be to increase the distance of the external views so i can scan the horizons, and/or change the camera possitions of side views. Is that possible?
Yes, of course. :) Which ship is it?