Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Better external view

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

zappa
Poor
Poor

Better external view

Post by zappa »

Hi everyone. Only just found Oolite after searching for a new elite style game and it seems everything I ever wanted is here. Been trying to get by on emulators running Elite for past couple of years since I threw out my old C64.

One of the main suggestions I've got after just having a bash at Eve Online (which did not answer my Elite prayers) is the external views could be a little better. It's be great to have a 3D view that you can move around a la Eve. Zooming in and out would also be cool. What do you think?

Great to see a community as into Elite as me. I thought you were extinct.

Mark
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

It's be great to have a 3D view that you can move around a la Eve. Zooming in and out would also be cool. What do you think?
Seconded!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Better external cameras would be easy if I got around to finishing the new camera code. Maybe in 1.73…
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

As nobdy else has - Welcome to the boards Zappa!

E/Oolite is a badly kept secret - we're having a ball - welcome to the party!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

PS - you threw out your C64? :cry: It was broken, right, smashed beyond repair, it broke your heart to do so... please tell me its so!

DaddyH (proud owner of two working C64s and three Amiga A500s)
Selezen wrote:
zappa
Poor
Poor

Post by zappa »

C64 was knackered. Not completely beyond repair but was having a clearout of loads of stuff. It did break my heart when I threw this big box of stuff on the tip. Tandy TRS80, C64 with hundred of disks and cassettes (including some of my first compositions done on music construction kit), Commodore Amiga (completely beyond repair) and various other old computer things.

I think I came to the decision based on having a whole bunch of emulators and realising a lot of the programs and games are not really as good as you remember. But, no emulator will replace the feeling of typing on a C64 keyboard. You could really whack the shit out of them. Hmm, maybe that was the problem.

I'd already got rid of a BBC B and an Atari ST about 10 years ago. I miss the ST.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I miss my ST - that table leg still wobbles without it wedged underneath... :lol: :wink:

I've just had to bin a load of PC bits (actually I put them on Freecycle and they went ten times over in about 3 hours) but the Amigas and C64s are secreted away - I get them out to make sure they fire up when my better half is not in the house... :?
Selezen wrote:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, zappa, and welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

Let me ask you which version you have installed. If it is 1.65, the external views really are no good. You don't see anything but your ship's hull, because the camera positions are generally too close to the ship. In that case externalviews.oxp will help. It simply moves the camera points away from the ship, so you get a better view, and it adds two new camera points, top and bottom.

If you are running the current development version 1.71.2, then the better camera points are already implemented (and all positions are renamed), and you don't need the OXP anymore.

Anyway, it is worthwhile to install the most recent version, it contains a lot of other improvements as well. :)