Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Doomsday Asteroid doesn't blow up!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Konrad Mule
Poor
Poor

Doomsday Asteroid doesn't blow up!

Post by Konrad Mule »

I've fired a full military and beam laser (front and aft) charge into it, plus two standard and two *&%&^%*&ing expensive hardened missiles into it but it still doesn't die.

I want to save the Leesti High station. What am I doing wrong?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Doomsday Asteroid doesn't blow up!

Post by Eric Walch »

Konrad Mule wrote:
I've fired a full military and beam laser (front and aft) charge into it, ...I want to save the Leesti High station. What am I doing wrong?
Nothing, it is just quite difficult. It will be easier when you also use side lasers. A big and slow thing like the asteroid is very well to hit with side lasers. Gives the others even more time to cool down.

:cry: Hardened missiles have he same explosive charge as normal ones. For asteroids it is a waste of money to use them.
Konrad Mule
Poor
Poor

Post by Konrad Mule »

Heh I never could aim with side lasers, even something that big. I just destroyed it (with a little help of the boys in blue) :D
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Konrad Mule wrote:
Heh I never could aim with side lasers, even something that big.
It's difficult for moving objects, but not for asteroids. Use your yaw-keys "<>" for this.
And on behalf of the traders, I thank you for rescuing one of our main stations.
RazorbackSnr
Above Average
Above Average

Post by RazorbackSnr »

Came back from G4(Ionics) because this was supposed to be and is a good mission. :)
The only thing was my frame rate which made it a pig to get my sights on it. Just used front military after injecting to it as quick as possible. Followed it in towards the station and just chopped it up. 8)

The best part was after getting a new energy bomb and 4 grand(yippee!!!)I injected a few km away from the station a dropped a Q-bomb. Because of all the asteroids it started a huge chain reaction than literally went round the back of the planet and for some reason each one counted as a kill. I think my final tally was about 160 extra kills. :lol:

Made me very unpopular, went to Riedquat to get a multi-pass and got ripped to pieces. Felt like i'd cheated anyway.......... :roll:

Went back to the mission complete save at Leesti and all the asteroids had gone......... :cry:

Wierd. :wink:
Cloaked Iron-Ass SuperCobra.
Galaxy 1.......
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

RazorbackSnr wrote:
The best part was after getting a new energy bomb and 4 grand(yippee!!!)I injected a few km away from the station a dropped a Q-bomb. Because of all the asteroids it started a huge chain reaction than literally went round the back of the planet and for some reason each one counted as a kill. I think my final tally was about 160 extra kills. :lol:
That sounds buggy. Asteroids are not supposed to (1) start or sustain chain reactions (no quirium!), they just blow up; or (2) to count as kills. So if there weren't 160 ships hidden in the asteroid field, there's something wrong here.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
That sounds buggy. Asteroids are not supposed to (1) start or sustain chain reactions (no quirium!), they just blow up; or (2) to count as kills. So if there weren't 160 ships hidden in the asteroid field, there's something wrong here.
You are right, something is wrong here as asteroids normally don't count as kill. However, from the code i see that every killed asteroid spawns a new asteroid. This means the explosion should never stop. (Use of aq-mine was not thought of I think).

It could be that in some cases there were ships spawn instead of asteroids. This could explain why the chain reaction ended. (Was this the spawn in wrong role bug that this time did some good?)