Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Is the Iguana the only two gun ship?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Is the Iguana the only two gun ship?

Post by JohnnyBoy »

My days of taking on a gang of 7 pirate ships, with only 25 tonnes of space junk and a couple of escape capsules as a reward, are over. I like the contract work supplied by the seedy space bars and I like hauling a couple of tonnes of platinum across the galaxy.

So maybe I don't need a medium sized ship anymore. But I would like more than one forward-facing laser. Is the Iguana the only ship that offers this?

(I'd also like to know how many missile pylons the Iguana has, but its wiki page doesn't tell me... :( )
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Hey, JB. The Iguana is not the only two gun ship in the OXPs, there are others like the Wolf Mk.2 and, errrrm, others (it's the booze blurring my memory). Alas, as to date, the Player version only has one laser.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Alas, as to date, the Player version only has one laser.
Ahhhhh poo. :evil:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Hey, JB. The Iguana is not the only two gun ship in the OXPs, there are others like the Wolf Mk.2 and, errrrm, others (it's the booze blurring my memory). Alas, as to date, the Player version only has one laser.

Captain Hesperus
Don't tell me, hard coded right?
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

ClymAngus wrote:
Captain Hesperus wrote:

Captain Hesperus
Don't tell me, hard coded right?
Nope
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think its hard coded that sub-entries on the player ship won't fire. So player ships can have turrets and multiple laser mounts, but its only on the NPC version that the weapons actually fire at the ship's target. I tried to do a player version of a Renegade Pirate ship (just to see what would happen). Although the turrets tracked my target nothing happened when I fired. However, I think A_C has changed this for the next version of Oolite, so that in the next version if your ship has turrets or multiple lasers they will work for the player as well as NPCs.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

LittleBear wrote:
However, I think A_C has changed this for the next version of Oolite, so that in the next version if your ship has turrets or multiple lasers they will work for the player as well as NPCs.
<Cmdr JohnnyBoy drums fingers on desk, waiting for next version of Oolite...>
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

..hence also why I just finished coding up a twin forward-laser Thargoid Interceptor, to help cope with the expected influx of player uber-ships with silly amounts of military lasers pointing forwards ;)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
..hence also why I just finished coding up a twin forward-laser Thargoid Interceptor, to help cope with the expected influx of player uber-ships with silly amounts of military lasers pointing forwards ;)
New code like:
IF (Playership equals supercobra) than add: plenty uber-thargoid interceptors?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The upcoming code changes for v1.72 involve only player ship turrets, unfortunately. No multiple player lasers yet.

As it's been said before, one step at a time ;-)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Personally I'd like to see an option to only allow 'classical' ship armaments, ie, single lasers, non-turreted. Although thinking back to C64 Elite, the AI ships always seemed to have some sort of minimal turret as they could hit me without directly facing me. This was especially noticable on Boa's and Anaconda's - I guess to even up the AI vs human skill discrepancy. But it was only a couple of degrees either way.

Back on topic, I'd like to be able to add OXP's which defines these uber-ships, but have them restricted to normal armaments by the main code irrespective of how many lasers/turrets they have defined. Not keen to have to edit every OXP which adds otherwise neat stuff but also defines uber-ships which I don't like.

Just my 2c :)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Turrets have a big downside though to balance them out. They only have a 5km range and the plasma is slow moving and easy to dodge. :wink: Sure a Behemoth will cut you to ribbons if you try to fight him up close, but your trusty Old School Military Laser can cut him up from 25kms and your Cobra Mk III is plenty fast enough yo ensure he never gets in firing range. :twisted: Uberness is very much a matter of opinion though. All the multi-lasered ships have a weakness that standard ships don't have. There guns can be shot off and they tend to only mount beams. A Cobra Mk III can still slice them up, as you just blast their guns off before they get in range and then pick off the toothless ship! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

a_c's comments above about 1.72 mitigate it somewhat by only adding player turrets. I could just forsee the next step in player uber-ness though being the ship with 4 non-frangible front military lasers, plus a large rack of missiles and some "defense" turrets too.

Would take the debate on ships like the SuperCobra to a whole new (low) level. And also rather take some of the inherent challenge out of things.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thargoid wrote:
Would take the debate on ships like the SuperCobra to a whole new (low) level. And also rather take some of the inherent challenge out of things.
Not if the other`s have those ships too :twisted:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

They already have them (e.g. the HydraII), but as LB says the NPC ships tend to be multiple beam lasers at best (and of course are non-upgradable). So unless the ship-coders are very restrained and don't allow them, we'll end up with multiple military lasers and uber firepower. That was more the point I was meaning.