Fragmentary Particle?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

hircus
Competent
Competent

Fragmentary Particle?

Post by hircus »

Every now and then, when a ship comes under fire a "fragmentary particle" is released, which the sensor detects as a missile launch (a bit annoying when you are using the Missile Sensor add-on). It appears as a light blue dot, cannot be scooped (you get a bounty for hitting it, and it behaves just like a metal fragment insofar as damages are involved, i.e. almost non-existent). Just like a space debris, in fact.

As long as the particle is within sensor range, no hyperspeeding is possible. I've resorted to just ramming them straight on and then hyperspeeding out.

Has anyone (hopefully running a pristine 1.71.2 without any sensor OXPs) seen this as well?
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

These particles are produced by some of the frag weapons in the Missiles and Bombs OXP. They use the same model as the splinter from the core game but are given a missile role and scan class so you know to avoid them.

Some things to check: is the particle just sitting there doing nothing? Really it should detonate after only a few seconds after being released. Are you able to replicate the problem? Try using the debug menu to add 'fragparticle' to the game area and see what happens.

I gave the particle a low-probability missile role out of habit but come to think of it, so long as I can set the scan class I probably don't need that anymore. I assume the fact it has that role is setting off the missile sensor.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ramirez wrote:
I gave the particle a low-probability missile role out of habit but come to think of it, so long as I can set the scan class I probably don't need that anymore. I assume the fact it has that role is setting off the missile sensor.
Just as a general note, as of 1.72 using probabilities of 0 will be officially supported. A ship with a role string of, say, pirate(0) customrole will be considered to “have” the role pirate, but will never be selected when generating pirates.