Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Need your half made models

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Need your half made models

Post by Amen Brick »

Shipyard oxp is practically finished (just need to place that damn dock correcly!)

I would like you to send me your wing models of one of your ships.
I want to add them as frangibles/addedbits to the main model. There will be one shipyard per galaxy and about 4 or 5 unfinished ships per shipyard. Until I get (much) better at programming, I won't be able to follow my plan to randomise the models on entry to the galaxy.

You can either "deconstruct" it yourself or send it to me and my drones will dismantle it for you. No need to send textures as the shipyard does not handle paint jobs. (oooh, this gives me the idea of a GTA style paint shop where you can auto paint your own ship....)

Please don't send dats as, although I have the dat2objtex.py, it appears to be a note file rather than a program and I don't how to turn one into t'other.

Please send them by board message and thanks in advance!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

it sounds as though Windows has appended .txt to the end of the dat2objtex.py file, making the whole file name dat2objtex.py.txt
fixing this will involve either:-

a) redownloading the file: go to
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/ool ... onverters/

right click on Dat2ObjTex.py and choose 'Save as..' from the popup menu and save the file to your hard disk, it should have the correct .py file extension.

or:

b) this is the more faffy solution - turning off the 'Hide file extensions for known file types' option (double click 'my computer' then click tools->folder options from the my computer window, select the view tab and untick the 'Hide extensions for known file types' option then click OK) and editing the file name so it reads obj2dattex.py. you can then go back and retick the file extensions for known file types' option
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Need your half made models

Post by Frame »

Amen Brick wrote:
Shipyard oxp is practically finished (just need to place that damn dock correcly!)

I would like you to send me your wing models of one of your ships.
I want to add them as frangibles/addedbits to the main model. There will be one shipyard per galaxy and about 4 or 5 unfinished ships per shipyard. Until I get (much) better at programming, I won't be able to follow my plan to randomise the models on entry to the galaxy.

You can either "deconstruct" it yourself or send it to me and my drones will dismantle it for you. No need to send textures as the shipyard does not handle paint jobs. (oooh, this gives me the idea of a GTA style paint shop where you can auto paint your own ship....)

Please don't send dats as, although I have the dat2objtex.py, it appears to be a note file rather than a program and I don't how to turn one into t'other.

Please send them by board message and thanks in advance!
have you installed python

else its found here

http://www.python.org/download/

if correctly installed, the icons should look like this

Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Griff's comments sound right (the icon should be the give-away, as Frame shows).

I've got both scripts and python happily running under WinXP, so there's nothing wrong with the script itself.
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Yeah, Griff is right, for some reason it saved as a txt file. :)

Re-downloaded. :)

Edit: You have to make sure you have 'all files' selected. For some reason the default was 'text'. Done anyway, so thanks again.