Star Trek geeking

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Star Trek geeking

Post by JensAyton »

Moderator: split off from Realistic Shipyards thread.
Lestradae wrote:
`nother pic:

What’s this? Everyone knows that the NCC-74210 was Defiant-class (USS Valiant). :-p
Last edited by JensAyton on Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@Ahruman:
What’s this? Everyone knows that the NCC-74210 was Defiant-class (USS Valiant). :-p
Your in-depth knowledge of all things Star Trek never ceases to amaze :)

Her Majesty`s Space Navy stands corrected ... :oops:

Where is the guy who did that paintjob on the Constitution? Schlonz! Schlonz, didn`t we tell you it was NCC-7421, not NCC-74210? Drunk again? Come closer Schlonz, at arm`s length, about ... :lol:
Last edited by Lestradae on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: ...

Post by JensAyton »

Lestradae wrote:
@Ahruman:
Your in-depth knowledge of all things Star Trek never ceases to amaze :)
Actually, it’s mostly my in-depth knowledge of Google. :-p

In the event that anyone wants to fix this, the canonical Constitution-class ships are:
  • USS Constellation (NCC-1017)
  • USS Defiant (NCC-1764)
  • USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
  • USS Excalibur (NCC-1664)
  • USS Exeter (NCC-1672)
  • USS Hood (NCC-1703)
  • USS Intrepid (NCC-1631)
  • USS Lexington (NCC-1709)
  • USS Potemkin (NCC-1657)
  • NCC-1700 (name unknown)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

The USS Constellation that appeared in ST:TOS was actually a shop bought Ertl model that came out with the merchandising to support the TV show - the problem was that the decals were set-up for the Enterprise and therefore they only had two '1's, a '7' and a '0' to play with. They were supposed to make it NCC-1710 but somebody stuck the decal on incorrectly and hence it became NCC-1017.

Various fan sites then tried to explain why the Constellation's Naval Construction Contract (hence NCC) number was almost 700 earlier than the Enterprise when there wasn't 700 additional ships (of any class/variant) built between the Constellation and the Enterprise.

Now there is some SERIOUSLY GEEKY Star Trek info for ya! :lol:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Naval Construction Contract (hence NCC)
This is of course entirely speculative with no canon support whatsoever. ;-) Anyway, a number after the Enterprise wouldn’t make much sense for a class ship.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

If someone could alter the paint job (also termed textures) for the Navy Constitution which that &%$$ Schlonz mispainted (obviously under the influence of too much Benulobiweed) to a number of Ahruman`s list, I would be most grateful ...

Cheers guys :)

L
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Ahruman - pretty sure my blueprints for the Enterprise-D have Naval Construction Contract written on it - and that's an Official Paramount product - as my Star Trek books are currently in the loft awaiting construction of another bookcase to house them I can't check.

Also, there should be a USS Constitution as each new class of ship has a ship named after the class...

As several "official" sources (i.e Paramount authorised ones) indicate that there was also a "Constellation" class at the same time as the Constitution class then it would have made more sense if they'd simply called the ship the USS Constitution and then everybody would have also accepted the NCC-1017 designation (sort of anyway)
Selezen wrote:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
@Ahruman - pretty sure my blueprints for the Enterprise-D have Naval Construction Contract written on it - and that's an Official Paramount product - as my Star Trek books are currently in the loft awaiting construction of another bookcase to house them I can't check.
A lot of official merchandise contradicts the series, and Paramount itself doesn’t consider it canonical (i.e., breaking continuity with merchandise is considered OK).
Also, there should be a USS Constitution as each new class of ship has a ship named after the class...

As several "official" sources (i.e Paramount authorised ones) indicate that there was also a "Constellation" class at the same time as the Constitution class
Bah, I keep confusing Constitution and Constellation. There is indeed a Constellation class – first seen in TNG s1, as Picard’s old ship, the Stargazer.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Well this is news to me. Just a few days ago, I was watching an episode of Star Trek TNG when it was (again) mentioned that the Enterprise was the best ship in Starfleet. But now, there's more than one ship like the Enterprise? We live and learn.... :wink: :lol:
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Well this is news to me. Just a few days ago, I was watching an episode of Star Trek TNG when it was (again) mentioned that the Enterprise was the best ship in Starfleet. But now, there's more than one ship like the Enterprise? We live and learn.... :wink: :lol:
The TNG Enterprise was not Constitution-class but Galaxy-class. But there were several of those, too. It is traditional for crews of capital ships to consider theirs the best in the fleet. :-)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Ahruman - you missed the USS Republic off your list (NCC-1371), as seen in the TOS episode "Court Martial" and USS Yorktown, (NCC-1717) as seen briefly in the TOS episode "Obsession"
Selezen wrote:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Wow, this is getting complicated!

Thank Giles this is Oolite and not Star Trek! :)

So the paint job repainting gets more and more confusing :?

Even the experts are debating ...

:shock:

L
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@JohnnyBoy - this is from memory as I have said earlier all my books on ST are in the loft so here it goes:

Enterprise NCC-1701 as seen in the original TV series is a Constitution class ship (as per the model seen in Oolite)

Enterprise NCC-1701 as seen in "The Motion Picture" - is the same ship as seen in the TV series but a full refit with new engines and deflector dish and bridge configuration plus weapon upgrades

Enterprise NCC-1701A as seen in movies II (TWoK) and III (SfS) - is the, now standard refit configuration of the Constitution class (lots of people refer to this ship as the "Enterprise" class - but it isn't - there never was one)

Enterprise NCC-1701B (Generations) is an Excellsior class (same as USS Excellsior NCC-2000 which was originally NX-2000 when it had transwarp engines fitted)

Enterprise NCC-1701C appears in TNG episode "Yesterday's Enterprise" and was an (I think) Ambassador class

Enterprise NCC-1701D TNG/Generations is a Galaxy class ship - other notable ships from this class were the USS Galaxy and the USS Yamato (destroyed indirectly by a computer virus) - I think the Galaxy may have been destroyed by the Jem'hadar (it was rammed in the deflector dish by a Jem'hadar ship)

Enterprise NCC-1701E is a Sovereign class ship first seen in the film First Contact.

I hope this helps!

One thing that the Original series Enterprise crew did manage to do for the rest of Starfleet was to get them to standardise on their ship insignia - in TOS each ship had a different symbology - it was standardised across Starfleet and made to be the same as that of the Enterprise in recognition of their exploits.

Of course we shouldn't forget about the Space Shuttle Enterprise (named by the US public because of the TV series and then it features in the TV series...) - this shuttle never went into space but was the one carried by the modified 747 to test the shuttle's ability to glide land.

Then there's USS Enterprise CVN-65 - the nuclear powered Aircraft Carrier - back in active service after they refitted her reactor.

And then there's the USS Enterprize (although the Holodeck recreation of this in one of the TNG movies (Generations?) reverts to the more modern spelling of the name - which was an 18th Century naval frigate.
Selezen wrote:
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thanks for the complete rundown, DH. I knew that there were different versions of the Enterprise, but I was surprised to find out that there were other ships that were identical to the Enterprise in service at the same time.

From my (limited) understanding of Star Trek, I'd always been under the impression that the Enterprise was the flagship of the fleet and was one-of-a-kind.
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@JB - with the possible exception of the refitted Enterprise from The Motion Picture (depends on what you read and from where it's sourced) I don't think any of the Enterprises have ever been Fleet Flagships.

While the Constitution class ships were thought of as warships, the Galaxy class of the Enterprise-D era was a deep space exploration/research vessel that just happened to be big enough to pack a lot of punch if need be - you don't take 300 families, or have schools or a stellar cartography lab, or an Arboretum aboard a warship. (unlike the little firecracker that is the Defiant - now there's a ship designed for fighting)
Selezen wrote: