Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Nice
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Captain Hesperus wrote:
Even in Oolite 1.65, Cevara is incredibly beautiful:
Note, however, that this effect is only visible (and has always been) if you have Ionics.oxp installed.

I remember that in 1.65 the nebulas in Cevara slowed down my system almost to a halt. Navigating was painful. Haven't tried it again in 1.71.2.
Please do! With all the stuff that’s changed, feedback on speed issues that have got better/worse/not changed are valuable.
Okay.

First of all my memory wasn't good. The nebula-rich system I remembered from Ionics wasn't Cevara, but Bebege.

Revisiting Bebege in 1.71.2, there is no slow-down. But also the nebulae themselves don't fill at least half of the sky anymore. Due to the new nebula-textures they are not so ... blunt ... anymore. More like a delicate web across parts of the sky.

Now jumping to Cevara. Oh yeah! That's the full effect. A fine weave of colour and texture. Beautiful! And my framerate: 50. I can easily approach an unsuspecting Python and transform it into a cloud of debris. No problems with aiming and fine-tuning.

So, as far as the impact of the new sky-stuff on speed is concerned: a 10 out of 10! :D

As far as the colour-combination itself is concerned: I wouldn't have chosen the creamy red-purple for my living room. :wink:
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Just had to visit Cevara as well since it happened to be only 3 hops from where I was at the time! :)

Featuring a glow-mapped Cobra Rapier (thanks to Ahruman for finally making me understand how that stuff worked).

Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

The black lines on the ship's edges and pastel colours give it a too cartoonish look, as if drawn with coloured pencils or something...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
The black lines on the ship's edges and pastel colours give it a too cartoonish look, as if drawn with coloured pencils or something...
Yup, that was the intention if you check the old Cobra variant competition... ;) Namely, I wanted to go for something completely different at the time.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I like this shot very much. It shows that Oolite becomes what I've always wanted it to be 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Commander Jameson approaches the Diso Military Outpost in hope of a bargin. (OXPs shown in shot Diso.oxp, System redux, Dark Wheel Cobra running on Oolite 1.71.2):-

(A full 10 planet solar system with the two OXPs running together! 8) )

Getting 32 fps with about 30 OXPs installed on an old Dell!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

8)
Nice shot LB!
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

That glorious LB!

@Wolfwood - i like the Cobra Rapier - nice one
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

The amount, variety and scope of Oolite OXPs make me wonder if other games' coders peek in our boards for ideas... Good work you guys!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Also looks like what happens when you keep the black lines in the .png when doing the texture, but i accept its not that.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Amen Brick wrote:
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Also looks like what happens when you keep the black lines in the .png when doing the texture, but i accept its not that.
Nah, it's not that - it is a 512x512 texture, so the black lines are thicker than they would have been in the original png from the modelling software (= I kept and thickened them on purpose). I rather like the comic book look myself, but I understand if it is not for everyone (but I argue it works well for the comicky Cevara backdrop).

I think I have the old work files still on my computer - I had some more traditional versions of the textures as well... I'll have to see if I'll make an optional version of the Rapier... :?
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Wolfwood wrote:
I rather like the comic book look myself, but I understand if it is not for everyone (but I argue it works well for the comicky Cevara backdrop).

I think I have the old work files still on my computer - I had some more traditional versions of the textures as well... I'll have to see if I'll make an optional version of the Rapier... :?
I'm sorry if I offended, but as you said, it does make for a rather artistic look.

In fact, I'd think if you send the pic to an art critic without the context, he'd babble about pastings, as it does look like something assembled with planets and an asteroid from a movie and a ship from a comic, with a cockpit from 'a game'...

But when the commanders unexpectedly find something like this on the space lane, one of those pimped Cobbies from the 'What Spaceship' contest a few years ago... :D
The occasional incongruous sighting actually gives depth to the game, so 'd ask you to leave it as it is. Now, if Wolfwood Interstellar Technologies were itching to release new mods they had on their drawing boards and Cowell MgRath extended the licence to these models , well, I'm sure What Spaceship? would like to know :D
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Hey, no offence taken! :) It was always meant to be "different".

And, yes, I found some old versions of the textures, but it seems that the par has risen tremendously in the meanwhile and so have my ambitions... Let's see what this leads to... :)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

A fat merchant ship lumbers through the space lanes. He may be in danger once that cop moves off on long patrol.

Navy light frigates engage the Thargoids...

OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.