Fading Out

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Baron
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Fading Out

Post by Baron »

Im sure its something I have or haven't done right? But the game closes down either as soon as I press a button or just after i've launched the ship. Is this a windows Vista ting or am I stupid or both??? Please help I cant wait to get stuck in! :roll:
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Sorry I can't help Baron (Unbuntu user with occasional forays back into XP when I want to use my scanner) - just wanted to welcome you to the forum and hope you do indeed get stuck in soon.

The more technical people on the Forums will ask you to reproduce your stderr file to help with diagnosis but I don't remember if this is generated automatically under WIndows...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hi Baron and welcome.

You need to supply a bit more info for the techies to get their teeth into, eg which version of Oolite for starters. There have been a few minor hiccups with Vista but nothing to write home about. As a quick fix you could just try a reinstall, just delete the Oolite file but make sure you save your add ons and save files if you have anything in them, and then just reinstall and add back your save and addons files.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, Baron, and first of all welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

Sorry for your problem! It doesn't sound familiar so far. You would help us very much if you could give us some more information.

1) What system are you on? We already know that it's Vista, but a little more information would be helpful. Please include information about your graphics card and driver as well.

2) Which version of Oolite are you using?

3) Extremely helpful would be to post the content of your stderr-file and/or crashlog. Don't know where these are written in Vista by default, but at least one of them has to be there.

4) As this sounds like a crash, you could alternatively send an email to Oolite's crash report address [email protected] (this is the recommended way of reporting crashs). Follow the guidelines in this link, which will tell you what to include.

5) If you want to post your logfiles here, please include them in the (code)(/code)-tags (use square brackets [] instead of the round () ones). This will make a long logtext much more readable.

Thank you. I am sure some of the resident experts will be able to help you, if they have sufficient information about what's going wrong.
Baron
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Baron »

Wow, think I'd better call a rain check. I use to play Elite 2 back in the day of the ST. Didn't realise there was so much involved, unfortunately i'm a rank amateur with PC's and feel i'm gonna struggle on most of what you just said! My graphics card is a Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Controller 0 (Microsoft Corp - WDDM) Graphic memory 251MB, Display adapter driver version 7.14.10.1187, Resolution 1280x800, Vista home premium. My Oolite version is v1.65, the crash occurs usually 15-20 seconds after launch or if I fire the laser? I'am unable to find a crash report in the recommended place, so other than that I'm completely in the dark. Have pity on a novice, Elite was by far one of the best games I ever had (Apart from Hunter) and would really like to get stuck in to this classic game. If you can help I'd be much appreciative ! Cheers Baron and thanks for the welcome.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

This is most likely a problem with the Intel graphics card and/or its drivers. I have the same issue with version 1.65 and an Intel GMA X3100.

Solution:
Download and install version 1.71.2, it runs crash-free, even on Intel drivers.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Have faith my friend, I have no technical knowledge either, but most of what you need to do is common sense.

In Explorer go to programme files and delete the Oolite file.
Reinstall Oolite from here

The download says it's Linux, but ignore that because the windows port is built from the same source as linux, so it's the correct download.

Have a look at the Oolite Wiki it's a goldmine of information

Be prepared to be totally gobsmacked when you start playing, and get some refreshments in for those all night sessions!

Good luck
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Baron
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Baron »

Well done dudes, all good in the hood and up n runnin! Lovin it already especially now I have a real laser!! All the best and thanx heaps!! :wink: