Question about fuel injector and more

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ve5a
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Question about fuel injector and more

Post by ve5a »

Hello!
I`m using window 1.65 version, I`m "average", have beet at the 14-th tech level planets and for now got this:
- Cargo Bay expansion
- Docking Computers
- E.C.M. System
- Extra Energy Unit
- Fuel Scoops
- Military Lasers (front view)

In the wiki is written:
--------------------------
Witch fuel injectors
Availability
Cr. 600.0 Cr.
Techlevel: 10
--------------------------
But i never saw it for sale

Moreover, I never saw ALL THESE for sale:
- Advanced Navigational Array
- Advanced Space Compass
- Fuel Tank
- IFF system
- Military Shield Enhancement
- Multi-Targeting System
- Ore Processor
- Passenger Berth
- Scanner Targeting Enhancement
- Shield Boosters
- Target System Memory Upgrade
- ECM Hardened Missile
- Twin Plasma Cannon

And there was no planet where I could sell or buy A SHIP.

The question is: WHY?
s8404755
Competent
Competent

Post by s8404755 »

I'd bet a hold full of trumbles that you're running in strict mode, mate. Press F2 when docked to see.
If your are, then I understand you have to restart the game to change it. (alternatively, you can edit your save game file).

Martin
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think you are playing in strict mode. As a result you can't buy other ships and lots of equipment. Check this thread for how to switch over into Unrestricted play.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4723

Some ships and equipment are also OXP (eg fuel tank) so you would also need to have the relevant OXP installed and be in Unrestricted play.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, ve5a, and first of all welcome to the board and of course to this great game! :D

My diagnosis is the same as the other guys'. This looks like you're playing in strict mode.

Just in case you don't know what that means: The Strict Mode in Oolite is for the purists among us who just want to play ELITE as it was in the 80's. Therefore Strict Mode does not allow you to do anything that could not be done in the original ELITE. It is an - as close as possible - emulation of that famous game.

However, Oolite itself is not limited to emulate ELITE. It is a new game, based on ELITE. So it has a lot of features that were never there in the original ELITE. All the equipment items that you listed as not available are in this category. Also the possibility to buy another ship belongs to this category. In the original ELITE you could not sell or buy ships, you just had your Cobra3. And, last but not least, the possibility to expand the game with Oolite eXpansion Packs (OXPs) was not there in the original ELITE, therefore it is disabled in Oolite's Strict Mode.

So, if you want to enjoy the complete cosmos of Oolite, go to your options-screen and choose "Reset to Unrestricted Play". Unfortunately this means that you will have to start all over again, because the save-files of strict and unrestricted games are not compatible.

And if you have more questions, feel free to have a look at the Oolite-FAQ in the Elite-Wiki. There is also the Instruction Manual, which will tell you basically everything you need to know about the game. Don't forget the readMe-file as well, which came with your Oolite-distribution, right next to the program itself.

And, whether strict or unrestricted, don't forget to have fun playing! :D
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@ Cmdr M - I think LB has noted that switching is less painful than that:
LittleBear wrote:
I think you'll need to manually change your Save File to continue in normal mode with the same Commander. Make a copy of your save file before you try this. :wink: . Open your save file with Notepad (or any text editor). Use Find to search for

Code: Select all

<key>strict</key>
It should currently say:

Code:

<key>strict</key>
<true/>

Delete this (and only this) and then exit and save. That should switch it into normal mode.
@Ve5a - hope this fix works and you're soon enjoying all there is to offer in the Ooniverse.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

If it is that easy, fine. :)

It's just that I used to be under the impression that in strict save-files there are less entries overall (a lot of things don't need to be stored, as they don't exist), so the existence of the strict-key would not be the only difference. But that can be a wrong impression.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Cmdr M - only repeating what LB said and it seemed to work for the ooliter he was trying to help...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I tested it on I think a pre 1.65 version (as I made this mistake when I started out and played for a while in strict before finding out about OXPs and had to fix my save game :oops: ). However it might upset the checksum on later versions of Oolite. Seemed to work to fix the problem on 1.65.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ve5a
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by ve5a »

Thank you all for replies!!!

strict mode turned off after this:

<!--key>strict</key> 
<true/-->
:) :) :)

now I`m on my way to buy 'boa cruiser' :)
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Good for ya! But... a Boa?!

Ah, well, go ahead if it pleases you to give the pirates an easy target - to each its own.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Good for ya! But... a Boa?!
Ah, well, go ahead if it pleases you to give the pirates an easy target - to each its own.
The boa cruiser has 0.312 speed, amble energy banks, and a fine manouvrebility, and not to mention 175 tons of cargo space. and 5 missile slots. not bad for standard ingame ship. i fly one all the time, but am designing one on the side line, with the DTP design agency ;-)

Many pirates see this huge thing as an easy target, only to be bitten by
this boa cruisers sharp fans.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Boa_2_Class_Cruiser
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Frame wrote:
not to mention 175 tons of cargo space
As I said, it's a flying barn. :roll:
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Chortles :lol:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Frame wrote:
Many pirates see this huge thing as an easy target, only to be bitten by this boa cruisers sharp fans.
It is an easy target but I fly it with great satisfactory for a long time.

On the downside you may get more hits, but on the plus side you can take more mass damage with collisions. And you never have to worry about cargo space when scooping.

Only when you want to take the largest cargo contracts, you need something bigger like a Anaconda. But that thing flies like hell.

Every ship has its own advantages.