Realistic Shipyards for a newbie.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Realistic Shipyards for a newbie.

Post by dalek501 »

Being a noobie and a bit of a dunce I'm struggling a little with the concept of the Realistic Shipyards OXP. I have looked at wiki and some of the threads, but they seem aimed at a more technical level than what I would like to know. Can I just ask a few things please?

1) Can RS be installed at any time without affecting your save game? In my circumstance I have the standard cobra mkIII with several add-ons.

2)What exactly is installed with the OXP? IE. Just ships mainly? No Missions? IE. I would only need to take out my already existing ship OXPs, not missions or system redux and the like? The Missions I have at this time are only ones aimed at the first galaxy in the main.

3)For a newbie is it worth it? I know Oolite is basically a 'modern' Elite. Does RS change the style of the game funamentally at all? Or does it just extend and improve the game as it is?

I'm not against change as such, but I don't really want fundamental changes to the style of Elite/Oolite. I think I read about the possiblity of running into space battles space battles. To me that sounds like the sort of thing I would love to see, and adds more realism into the game.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

1) Any OXP can be installed without it effecting your save game. However, if you were to later buy a ship from an OXP then you would need to have the OXP installed (at least until you sell the OXP ship) to use the save game as otherwise your ship woudn't be there.

2) Its a lot of ship OXPs in one. So a lot is added, but you are getting a lot of ship OXPs installed in one go. You can just pick n mix by just installing the ship OXPs you fancy individually.

3) Depends. If you want almost every ship OXP in one download then install it. This will cause a performance hit though as you have so many OXPs running at once (its a compliation of about 85). The roles in realistic shipyards also cause strange behaviour.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Cheers.

So at the end of the day... it just adds all the ships in one hit? It doesn't neccesarily change their behaviour so you fly into big space battles?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

It gives ships different roles, some of which they are not really suited for. If you want space battles I'd try:- Navy.oxp, Behemoth.oxp, Military.oxp (and give the Thargoids a fair chance with:- Thargon Threat and Thargoid Carrier). Quite a few mission packs also feature big battles.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi dalek501,

Little Bear has already answered most of your questions. Just a quick reply:
1) Can RS be installed at any time without affecting your save game? In my circumstance I have the standard cobra mkIII with several add-ons.
Yes.
2)What exactly is installed with the OXP? IE. Just ships mainly? No Missions?
The OXP changes ship availability and prices, adds all the ships from 85 ship oxps and the Fuel Tank equipment in one go and gives more different ships more different roles to play.
IE. I would only need to take out my already existing ship OXPs, not missions or system redux and the like? The Missions I have at this time are only ones aimed at the first galaxy in the main.
The ship oxps included in RS which you don`t need to install any more if you have RS in are:

Aegidian-Special, All-Stars, AphidV2, att1, A-Wing, bandersnatch, Boyracers, B-Wing, Cobra3Njx, Cobra35, CobraClipperPC, Condor, Dragon, Dreams01Beta, Dredger, DWCobra3, Eagle2, Executive Spaceways V2.2, Far Star, Ferdelance_NG, Ferdepai, Firewasp, Fuel Tank, fsr, Grass_Snake, Greekshipset1, Griffin2, Herald, Icarus, Illicit_Unlock_FIX1.56, Impcourier (Navy), Impcourier2 (Civilian), Interceptor, Isisinterstellar, Ixianfreighter, Ixianships, Jabberwocky, Kestrel&Falcon, Lambda, Lane_Legal, liberator, Llama, Longshot, Manta, Marett_Vol1, Merlin, Missionaries, Morrigan, MPakRedux, Murgh_XShips, NavyStarships, Newships, nuvipers, Oldships, Outrider, Pallas, Pelamis, Phoenix, PTI, PythonClassCruiserV2.6, Racers, Renegade_Viper, RoC, SalezaV2, Shield-Tail, Shreddies, snark, Spearhead_1, Stingray, Stingray_Mk_II, s-ships, Supercobra, Swift, Terrapin, Tesoura, TIE, Tiger, Tribant, Urutu_IV, UrutuMkIII, Velocity, WolfMk2, Wolfwoods_Variants, X-Ships, X-Wing & Y-Wing

The oxps still supported pricing- and TL-range wise for their buyable ships but not directly included are: Assassins, Commies, Hotrods, Ionics-1.2.1 & Zz-Oo-Haul ... and by the way, all five of them are strongly recommended! (By me, that is.)

RS does NOT include any missions or System Redux.
3)For a newbie is it worth it? I know Oolite is basically a 'modern' Elite.

You must answer that one for yourself. If - as LittleBear said - you want many ships in one go without cluttering your AddOns folder and have a rather fast system, the answer might be yes.
Does RS change the style of the game funamentally at all? ... Or does it just extend and improve the game as it is?
No. ... Yes.

There are inconsistencies with ships in roles which don`t fit, but (this is my opinion) that doesn`t happen very often.

Hope this helps 8)

L
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Re: ..

Post by dalek501 »

Lestradae wrote:

Hope this helps 8)
It does! Thanks very much for the replies. :D
krombart
Competent
Competent

Post by krombart »

I made the quite surprising experience, that after starting a new game and selling my cobra as a first action and buying a GalCop Viper I have 1 000 000 Credits ....

That takes the goal out of the game :(
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

krombart wrote:
I made the quite surprising experience, that after starting a new game and selling my cobra as a first action and buying a GalCop Viper I have 1 000 000 Credits ....

That takes the goal out of the game :(
Well, trading is not the only goal, i find making money easy... so the real goal is to get a better ranking, and to finish the missions.

regarding that bug, start over again, try without the big OXPs first.

i mean you just have to make milk runs, beetween poor agricultural and rich industrial worlds, in order to make money.. steer clear of the ship lanes and you can make a run in 3-4 mins, and earn 10k pr trip, if you have a boa class cruiser with 175 tons of cargo space.. it does .312 so its not that bad, since the only standard ship that outruns it is an Cobra mkIII

ofcourse you need first to todo alot of tedious boring runs in the Cobra, then in a python, to get the Boa Class Cruiser... you should not buy the anaconda as the description "size of an asteroid and steers like one" is quite true.

Do the standard missions, contrictor, thargoid plans, nova, cloaking device first.. then start to tackle to OXP missions... once you get bored and want more to look at, start putting in the experimental OXPs like this one... just for eye candy
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Think the Bug of getting a million credits on selling a ship is fixed on 1.71, but is a know bug on one of the earlier releases.
krombart
Competent
Competent

Post by krombart »

I experienced that with oolite 1.71.2 autopackage version.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I experienced that with oolite 1.71.2 autopackage version.
The 1 million credits bug is not a Realistic Shipyards bug. Perhaps you should post this experience in the Testing & Bugs forum, where the people in the know can try to find out what happened?

Cheers

L
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

LittleBear wrote:
Think the Bug of getting a million credits on selling a ship is fixed on 1.71, but is a know bug on one of the earlier releases.
Really? Not known by me. There was a losing-all-your-money bug.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Hmm. Wasn't there a buying ships giving you a load of cash bug reported at some stage?

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4222
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Ahruman wrote:
I thought that bug was called a 'wife'....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
I thought that bug was called a 'wife'....

Captain Hesperus
Well they take and receive, wonder what my would say if i called her my cute little lady bug... ^^
Bounty Scanner
Number 935