Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

System_Redux, Tiger and 1.71.2 Hang

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

another_commander wrote:
I had a very quick look at the issue. With only Tiger and SR installed, I loaded up Scoopy's game, launched from Sodionbe, set course to Araron and executed a misjump. Entered witchspace, no problem at all. I'm afraid I can't see anything wrong with it. Unless Scoopy has a very specific, precise way to reproduce the crash (in which case I would like to know), I don't think I can really be of any help with this.

Edit: Looking at the errors from Scoopy's log, I seem to get a deja vu thing. This looks suspiciously like the crash that was the reason 1.71 was pulled out of circulation (crash on entering witchspace). Scoopy, how did you install the game? Did you copy files over a previous installation by any chance?
No, in fact I still have the old version. I re-named my old application folder, and then installed the new one.

I crash by executing a mis-jump as you did.

If this looks like a version mangling issue to you guys, I´ll just wipe anything even remotely Oolite looking (sans save game) and try again. It is odd that it works fine for me when I don´t have System_Redux installed though.

I will point out that I am rather a Mac Newbie and I find documentation a touch sparse (was a while before i discovered that there are such things as packages and that Oolite was one :) ) hence my trouble finding the log file. With this in mind it is quite possible I have been doing something wrong.

Regards
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

Sorry to spam the board!

Ok, I removed everything I could find related to Oolite (find / -name "*olite*" -print") except my save games.

Downloaded a new copy of Oolite version 1.71.2 plus, for good measure, tiger.oxp and System_Redux.oxp. Installed them and tried a mis-jump with my normal save game.

Still got the same problem :(

Maybe it´s just something odd on my machine (macbook pro).

Anyway, I´ll try it out on a Linux box when I get a chance, however, it isn´t the end of the world for me as I can just drop System_Redux for now.

Thanks all for the help though.

Regards
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Would you be comfortable building your own version of Oolite and debugging it? It’s fiddly, but it’s basically following a list of instructions and e-mailing a screen shot.

If you can, the procedure would be as follows:
  • Follow the instructions on the wiki. However, instead of:

Code: Select all

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/oolite-linux/trunk
    use:

svn checkout  svn://svn.berlios.de/oolite-linux/tags/1.71.2/
  • In Xcode, open the Breakpoints window (Run->Show->Breakpoints), Double-click the line “Double-click for symbol”, and type (or copy and paste) “objc_exception_throw”, without quotation marks.
  • Run Oolite in the debugger (Build->Build and Debug)
  • Trigger the bug, which will cause the game to freeze and Xcode to come to the front. Do not run in full screen mode while debugging.
  • Open the Debugger window (Run->Debugger)
  • In the top left pane, select the first line in black.
  • Take a screen shot of the window (Command-shift-4, press space, click the window) and e-mail it to me at the address in my signature. This procedure will only capture the one window, excluding anything else on the screen.
Edit: for reference (and so I can point other hapless victims at this post later), here’s the resulting screen shot:
Last edited by JensAyton on Tue May 13, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

Ahruman wrote:
Would you be comfortable building your own version of Oolite and debugging it? It’s fiddly, but it’s basically following a list of instructions and e-mailing a screen shot.

If you can, the procedure would be as follows:
  • Follow the instructions on the wiki. However, instead of:

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/oolite-linux/trunk
    use:

svn checkout  svn://svn.berlios.de/oolite-linux/tags/1.71.2/
  • In Xcode, open the Breakpoints window (Run->Show->Breakpoints), Double-click the line “Double-click for symbol”, and type (or copy and paste) “objc_exception_throw”, without quotation marks.
  • Run Oolite in the debugger (Build->Build and Debug)
  • Trigger the bug, which will cause the game to freeze and Xcode to come to the front. Do not run in full screen mode while debugging.
  • Open the Debugger window (Run->Debugger)
  • In the top left pane, select the first line in black.
  • Take a screen shot of the window (Command-shift-4, press space, click the window) and e-mail it to me at the address in my signature. This procedure will only capture the one window, excluding anything else on the screen.
Yes, of course, very happy to do this.

Probabaly can give it a shot tomorrow. One thing slightly confuses me though. Your instructions indicate to get the linux source but use the Xcode debugger. EDIT: OK, ignore that bit. Just read the wiki!

Is this a contradiction or should I just do what you say :)

Regards
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Berlios' oolite-linux repository contains the source code for macs, windows & indeed linux. 'oolite-linux' is just the berlios' project name, & doesn't reflect the actual code inside it anymore... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

OK, I´ve done something remotely like a build and sent what seems to be a screenshot of something looking very similar to what you described that resulted from a hang at a point remarkably similar to the one I get with the normal application.

My mac skills are appalling (took me fifteen minutes to find out where the screen shot (actually six of them by that time) was saved to :) )

I didn´t manage to produce a "developer" version of the application because I didn´t have a clue what to do with RBSplitView once I´d downloaded it.

If anybody can tell me what I should have done with that, it would be educational.

Regards
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Scoopy wrote:
My mac skills are appalling (took me fifteen minutes to find out where the screen shot (actually six of them by that time) was saved to :) )
Ah yes, I forgot about that. (The desktop, for anyone wondering.)
I didn´t manage to produce a "developer" version of the application because I didn´t have a clue what to do with RBSplitView once I´d downloaded it.
I forgot about that too; the RBSplitView plug-in for Interface Builder 3 (available here) is required to build the debug OXP. It is not needed for the game itself.

The problem lies in the method for finding a the closest planet. If there are planets in a system, but no sun, an exception occurs. In this case there’s one planet (and, from the pasted log, a navigation buoy) in interstellar space. Interesting.
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

And even weirder that nobody else seems to be able to reproduce the problem. I guess I just got lucky :)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I think I've got a solution for that problem & it seems to be fixed now. I'm going to do some more testing, but will update svn soon if there's no more 'lucky' surprises! :)

Edit: If only I was quicker with my tests! :)
Last edited by Kaks on Tue May 13, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Too late! Buahahahahahaha!