Realistic Shipyards "Strict Version" now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Realistic Shipyards "Strict Version" now available

Post by Lestradae »

Hye,

There is now an alternate, optional version of the Realistic Shipyards available (to download, click on my signature below) in addition to the fullversion!

It is called the Realistic Shipyards (Strict Version) and does not contain any additional content beyond the changes in ship pricing & tech level span availability. Please note that this additional version will still work with ANY OXP and price & arrange its ships accordingly. It also still contains the complete Oolite buyable ships databank (as an RTF file).

Goes without saying that the Realistic Shipyards (Full Version) is and will also stay available. In the future, both versions will be upgraded with new expansions each.

While the full version will be mercilessly expanded with anything I & contributers find interesting, wacky, weird, eye-candy and fascinating enough to include, I will also upgrade the strict version with those additions that the adherents to the canon :wink: find suitable.

Upgrades that just cover new developments in buyable ships will also be made for both versions in the future.

Have fun :)

Lestradae
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

Nice work on trying to satisfy all Ooliters out there ;-)

Just one question: -
If I have the 'full' version of Realistic Shipyards, do I still need the old OXP 'Illicit_Unlock' that allows players the opportunity to buy NPC only ships?

Just wondering as they appear to overlap in this regard.

Otherwise - nice work!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hye! 8)
Nice work on trying to satisfy all Ooliters out there
Well, you can`t make it right for everyone. I like it wild and complicated and growing and weird and eye-candy. Then there are those that like the basic idea of tech levels and prices actually meaning something for the buyable ships, but want it canonical and simple and as they know it from Elite & the Dark Wheel and veeery consistent and plain-looking.

So the idea came up to do two versions of the OXP - one that contains all the wacky stuff (which I, by the way, find completely fitting into the spirit of Elite, but well, read above) and one that leaves much more freedom what else to include and what not.

So I will continue including anything I like into the Full Version, but add a re-Stricted Version too, I think that`s a good compromise.
If I have the 'full' version of Realistic Shipyards, do I still need the old OXP 'Illicit_Unlock' that allows players the opportunity to buy NPC only ships? Just wondering as they appear to overlap in this regard.
No, they don`t overlap.

If you have the Full Version of Realistic Shipyards, but no other ship OXPs installed, you will have the strict version ships and five additional ships the Realistic Shipyards themselves add in:

The stolen Thargoid Warship (if you are Deadly), the Condor Flagship (if you are ELITE), the Interstellar Explorer, the Deep Space Dredger and the Navy Leviathan (which will be renamed into "Juggernaut" in later versions; if you are ELITE with 10.000 kills).

If you want the Constrictor playable too, you must also have the Illicit Unlock OXP installed (and be Dangerous at least).

You need all the other ship-oxps to have their ships in! Realistic Shipyards is dependent on them. It only rewrites what they cost and where they appear if they are in, it doesn`t add additional ships by themselves (except the five detailed above).

I am already planning for a future perhaps final (full) version that will have many, perhaps all shipOXPs merged into the Realistic Shipyards themselves - but until then, you still need to use them seperately and in addition.
Otherwise - nice work!
Thanks! :)

I am quite happy that I do not only hear loads of criticism but also many who just like the additions. I think they are in the spirit of Elite, others are more narrowminded (in my opinion, that is). Perhaps the two versions will resolve that.

And if not, well, everyone should enjoy this game their way.

Have fun! :)

L