Hello - Getting Started

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Jamesons
Harmless
Harmless

Hello - Getting Started

Post by Commander Jamesons »

Hi,

I used to play Oolite a lot a couple of years ago.

I feel the urge to play again but would like to know how to assemble the ultimate Oolite experience.

For example, is the most up to date version v1.65 off the main site?

Are there any updates / patches that I should download / apply too?

And, which are the expansion packs are regarded as essential by you, the Oolite community?

Many thanks for any responses,

Adam
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I suppose I should point out this sticky: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3606 and if you look around the board, there's a few threads about people's favourite oxps....
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Hello, Commander Jameson, and Welcome to the Friendliest Board This Side of Riedquat, and to a glorious old addiction!

<mumble mumble>
<Oh?>
Erm, sorry, Commander JamesonS!

As for your doubts, though the latest 'stable' version is 1.65, the 1.7x is under development, being nearly (if not more) 'stable' than your current one, and allowing functionalities as JavaScript and shaders. These have been used in several recent OXPs, so it may be a good idea to start there.

OXPs: there has been a few discussions around to make an OXP megapack, but there was no consensus about which ones to include. You may want to search the discussion forum for those threads, use the search function or pick and choose your own from the Elite Wiki.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Greetings, Commander Jamesons.....
Perhaps you have multiple personality disorder, I don't know, but a dose of Dr. Sigmund Schmigmund's Mental Fixative will sort that. Although you'd better order in a tonne of Prune juice to counter the 'side effects'.

Welcome to the boards and the addiction.

Oh, and congratulations on posting the 1000th Topic on this Forum!!

Have cute and fluffy Trumble fiend friend as a prize.....
Now if you could forward Cr30 to my Credit account for, errr, administration fees, I can transfer your new free pet to you!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!