Oolite 1.70 and Random Hits OXP: Accepts mark death, not pod

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

flangeophile
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Oolite 1.70 and Random Hits OXP: Accepts mark death, not pod

Post by flangeophile »

So an interesting situation in a kill mission...

I kill a mark and then move on to the escape vessel. I've tried killing the vessel in just about as many ways as there are (I admit, I haven't strangled one yet...). Anyhoo... when I get back to a station after this event I am greeted with an insult along the lines of "well done for killing the ship, but you let the escape pod go..."

This happened 8 times out of 9 - on the one occassion it didn't happen, the escape pod (well-equipped, it seems), dropped a Q-Mine and so killed itself.

Odd, no?

WinXP, Oolite 1.70, Random Hits 1.1 and a bunch of other OXPs (but no other mission-based ones)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Hmm Sorry thats definatley not meant to happen!

I playtested the pods a lot and the seemed to be behaving themselves (but that don't meant its not a bug! :wink: ). So I can try and replicate it, could you tell me:-

1) What type of ship is the mark flying?
2) Is the pod appearing when the mark dies? (If somethings up with one of my pods then Oolite won't add it but the script will think it did!)
3) If so what type of Pod is it - A normal pod, a worm or a shuttle.
4) Are you able to hit the pod. Ie is it that you've seen it blow up and the OXP is insiting you didn't kill it) or is the pod just unkillerble?
5) When the mark's ship blew up did you get a message along the lines that he has ejected and you must terminate his pod?

When the Mark's ship is destroyed they are meant to (random chance of each):- 1) Just Die! 2) Launch a Pod or 3) Die but launch a mine. They are not meant to be able to launch a pod and a mine at the same time. Was it that the mark dropped the mine or the pod?

PS: When you installed V1.1 did you hold down the SHIFT key when Oolite loaded up for the first time? If you don't do this when you first install, the new code is not loaded by Oolite (which could be a cause of what your are describing as the pods wont have Java Scripts attached to them if the shipdata file was not updated - which would mean the "player has killed the pod" variable is not set).

Ta
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

flangeophile wrote:
I kill a mark and then move on to the escape vessel. I've tried killing the vessel in just about as many ways as there are (I admit, I haven't strangled one yet...). Anyhoo... when I get back to a station after this event I am greeted with an insult along the lines of "well done for killing the ship, but you let the escape pod go..."
Also look into the logfile of Oolite. Ship-scripts under 1.70 have a bug that in some conditions a second spawned ship with the same script can not always set its variables. With ups I had similar problems and some ship-scripts are not yet activated in ups. The problem is fixed in the trunc version of Oolite but we will have to wait until 1.71 releases.

When this is the case you will read an error in the log that "missionVariables" are unknown. When this happens only a restart of Oolite will help. But to be sure first look in the log. On windows it is logged in the stdr file?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
When this is the case you will read an error in the log that "missionVariables" are unknown. When this happens only a restart of Oolite will help. But to be sure first look in the log. On windows it is logged in the stdr file?
PATH\oolite.app\stderr.txt. Sometimes there are some other message too. 'Player not declared' or 'unknown'. I've commented out the 'header' (this.name,author,copyright and version) and it seems to help a lot, but I feel a little bit indisposed with it.
Last edited by Svengali on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flangeophile
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by flangeophile »

Wow that was a very quick reply thank you - have been attempting the mission a few times to see if it's repeatable - the same happened three times in a row.

Answers to your questions:

1) Mark is flying a Super Cobra (but this happened with other craft as well)
2) The pod does appear when the Cobra blows up
3) the pod seems always to be an Escape Shuttle - but *armed* with lasers, missiles and once a Q-Mine
4) I hit the pod, he screamed about being unarmed (?) and then I blew it up
5) Yes, when the Cobra blew up it told me the occupant had ejected and now I must destroy that.

When I installed I did hit SHIFT *but* originally I assumed I had the latest version of OOlite which I did not. So then I upgraded to 1.70 and reinstalled Random Hits 1.1 (with the SHIFT key again).

I did a couple of missions without this bug, then it started. It seems now I cannot get paid for any mission because this is the effect every time.

Thanks for all your help - I guess this is pretty random...
flangeophile
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by flangeophile »

Well it seems my ability to hit SHIFT isn't quite what I thought it was. I uninstalled, ran and reinstalled - this time it was fine.

Although the escape shuttle still has a missile...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The pods are unarmed, but the Worms and Shuttles are armed. Its 50 / 50 though whether they flee or fight.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

hmmm... i think i've killed about 6 or 7 so far and all bar 2 ejected and fought back in a worm. one didn't eject and the other ejected a q-mine instead (nice try but no cigar ;) )

Guess i've been unlucky.

Hmm... Do you get a kill for the ship and another for the worm?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

The escape craft have the class of cargo (otherwise you woudn't be able to scoop them). Some ships (whilst still alive) launch Remote Attack Worms instead of missiles and you get a kill for shooting these down. I think you won't get a kill for shooting down an escape worm / shuttle as its classed as cargo (albiet cargo that can shoot back!).
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

I think that the last 2 builds of Oolite v1.71 have introduced a new bug.

The Mark released about 4 adders which attacked me. I ignored them and went for the ship (a souped up python). When I destroyed it it said that the mark had ejected. I did not see an escape vehicle but killed all the adders in sight.

However the client refused to pay, saying the mark had escaped.

I did this twice more with the same result.

I then tried killing the adders first, then the python. Same result twice but then the mark died with her ship.

Today, another mark. When the ship broke up there was one piece of alloy and no escape vehicle although the game claimed that the feline had ejected.
Ean
Poor
Poor

Post by Ean »

davcefai wrote:
Today, another mark. When the ship broke up there was one piece of alloy and no escape vehicle although the game claimed that the feline had ejected.
Same here, looks like legacy_spawn has been removed.
From my stderr

Code: Select all

2008-03-16 10:03:48.757 oolite[2116] [script.javaScript.warning.206]: ----- JavaScript warning: The event handler beingAttacked has been renamed to shipBeingAttacked. The script oolite-random-hits-mark24 must be updated. The old form will not be supported in future versions of Oolite!
2008-03-16 10:03:48.757 oolite[2116] [script.javaScript.warning.206]:       (null), line 0.
2008-03-16 10:04:37.101 oolite[2116] [script.javaScript.exception.22]: ***** JavaScript exception: TypeError: system.legacy_spawn is not a function
2008-03-16 10:04:37.101 oolite[2116] [script.javaScript.exception.22]:      AddOns/RandomHits.oxp/Scripts/oolite-random-hits-mark24.js, line 12.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ean wrote:
Same here, looks like legacy_spawn has been removed.
Yes. This was mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

If you rebuild the cache (always a good idea with new builds, although I try to remember to force a rebuild when relevant), you’ll get this message instead:
system.legacy_spawn() is deprecated (and never worked), use Ship.spawn() instead.
It means what it says: system.legacy_spawn() has never reliably done what it was supposed to.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Something I just noticed: Ean, the fixme script you sent - and the one that's on the wiki at the moment - doesn't seem to always put the Resources directory in the right place.

The system.legacy_spawn warning is inside Resources. I've just changed the fixme script and it seems to do the right thing now:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
if ! [ -d oolite.app ]
then
	mkdir oolite.app
fi
if [ -d oolite.debug/Resources ]
then
   if [ -d oolite.app/Resources/ ]
   then
      rm -rf oolite.app/Resources 2> /dev/null
	  rmdir oolite.app/Resources
   fi
   cd oolite.debug
   mv ./Resources/ ../oolite.app/
   cd ..
else
   echo "No Resources to move. Exiting... ";
   exit 2
fi
if [ -e /Local/oolite/trunk/obj/oolite.exe ]
then
   cp /Local/oolite/trunk/obj/oolite.exe /Local/oolite/trunk/oolite.app
else
   echo "oolite.exe doesn't exist. Exiting..."
   exit 3
fi

if [ -d 'c:/Program Files/oolite/oolite.app' ]
then
   cp c:/"Program Files"/oolite/oolite.app/*.dll /Local/oolite/trunk/oolite.app
else
   echo "oolite is not in the default location. Copy it to C:\Program Files\oolite and start again. Exiting..."
   exit 4
fi

if [ -d /Local/bin ]
then
   cp /Local/bin/*.dll /Local/oolite/trunk/oolite.app
else
   echo " /Local/bin doesn't exist. Exiting..."
   exit 5
fi

echo "fixwin finished OK. Type 'openapp oolite.app' to run Oolite."
exit 0 
There seems to be a flaw with the way rm -rf works inside GNUstep - it should remove the top directory after removing everything inside it, but it doesn't always do it.
Adding rmdir immediately afterwards seems to work, though. I'll update the wiki with the new version asap.

Edit: updated fixwin on the wiki now.
Last edited by Kaks on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Ean
Poor
Poor

Post by Ean »

Kaks wrote:
There seems to be a flaw with the way rm -rf works inside GNUstep - it should remove the top directory after removing everything inside it, but it doesn't always do it.
Adding rmdir immediately afterwards seems to work, though. I'll update the wiki with the new version asap.
aghhh GNU !
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ean wrote:
aghhh GNU !
:D :D :D

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)