Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Greetings commander!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

What ranking are you in oolite?

elite
19%
deadly
22%
dangerous
22%
competent
19%
above average
3%
average
5%
poor
3%
mostly harmless
No votes
harmless
8%

Total votes: 37

aceone
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Greetings commander!

Post by aceone »

hi, I've just found oolite about a week ago after playing elite for many years. It looks like it adds heaps of depth to the elite universe. Just wandering how many people have made it to elite or there abouts in oolite? Also it seems to me that the elite and frontier universes are incompatible. Do most oolite players see it that way? (I'm not knocking fe2 or ffe at all).

cheers :)
aceone

(I'll try adding a poll on my first post!)
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Welcome :)

Oolite is basically Elite with lots of scripting goodies and prettiness.

Frontier and First Encounters are considered separate and in the future. You'll find that asking for a feature that was in FFE will probably be met with a 'this is Oolite, not a FFE clone' type response.

edit: I'm 90% of the way to Elite so still only deadly...
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Slowy plugging my way through competent
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

just a thought - if you found oolite a week ago then you must have played for a good 20 hours or so by now - you should be at least average :)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I think that the Elite/Oolite universe is incompatible with the Frontier one, yes -- or, at least, that keeping the two universes separate is easy and quick and makes most sense. But the general consensus seems to be that the two can be incorporated into one larger build. I'm happy enough to go along with this because we're very unlikely to see much Frontier stuff coming over here... Not that I have anything against Frontier, apart from a long-standing grudge that it was just such a big disappointment after I'd waited so long. As long as I'm not expected to play it, I don't mind that it exists. Much. Any more. :wink:
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Frontier was still a good game. It's just that it could have been so much better and it's dated very badly as it's software rendered 3d...

My main complaint ws the UI - you often had to take ages to find the planet you wanted to fly to. A simple list of planets to click on that would drive the map would have been much better.

And we don't talk about FFE due to the FMV in it... :)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hoopy wrote:
Frontier was still a good game. It's just that it could have been so much better...
I think that was the worst thing about the disappointment: realising that there was a potential great game sitting there -- just in little, largely unusable bits, spread out all over the shop. If it did that, instead of this, worked this way and not that way, had one of these instead of all of those... argh!

Dear oh dear, I hadn't realised how deep the mental scarring went...
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

If there were any development of a Frontier type of Oolite, I'd prefer it to be more of a flavour thing as opposed to a wholesale Frontier: Oolite 2 thing. Maybe the emergence of The Federation and the Empire as more palpable entities within the game (Imperial Incursion forces or Federal Taskforces making raids on GalCop space), i-News bulletins announcing that the governments involved have no knowledge of any hostile forces working within GalCop and so on....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, aceone, and welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

I've been ELITE for quite a while now, but as I haven't been actually playing for quite a while, too, still stuck with a little over 9000 kills.

As far as the difficult relations between Elite, Oolite and the F-games is concerned, you may find Selezen's website very useful. He has managed to somehow reconcile the universes and timelines, answering questions like "why are neither Earth nor Achenar on Elite's/Oolite's galactic map?". Check out the unlocking the frontier-section of his site.