R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Post by Ace Garp »

The co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons passed away yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7278927.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

Don't know if many people here may be interested, but I'm sure some here (myself included), will be of a certain age, and may appreciate the man's legacy.

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to have a game this weekend in his memory. (It's not looking likely though ;-)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Ace Garp wrote:
The co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons passed away yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7278927.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

Don't know if many people here may be interested, but I'm sure some here (myself included), will be of a certain age, and may appreciate the man's legacy.

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to have a game this weekend in his memory. (It's not looking likely though ;-)
Yeah, I've been paying my respects at the Altar of the RPG God. Apparently, he had an abdominal aneurysm that ruptured and killed him. I'm not gonna use any of the stupid 'failed saving throw verses death' or 'I bet he wished he had 5,000gp of crushed diamonds' jokes.........

oh.......

I hate myself......

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Is sad. Although I haven't played it since I was a kid, I did have a flip thought the Dungeon Masters Rule Book I found in the loft a couple of weeks ago. He gave a lot of pleasure to millions of nerds like myself and will be missed. I shall also avoid reference to a certain 5th level Cleric spell.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Sad indeed. I too spent much time at the D&D coalface, and in its various more- and less-direct offspring too. Much fun. He was a major part of a generation of designers who helped move games and gaming into whole new territories.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Tis indeed sad, my first experience was with a teleprinter and some dial up connection via london to the USA, back in about 1976/7, very primitive, but it was cutting edge at the time (to me anyway)
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I've said it on a several other forums, but I must say again that I owe a great deal of my life to Gygax. Although I didn't play D&D for more than a few sessions before I "upgraded" to other systems, it is still D&D that pretty much started it all.

R.I.P.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

Now there's guy who will be missed :(
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

This guy stole much of my youth, and was partially responsible for my mental condition. So I say, pack'him in a cold box and send'im to Tionisla.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.