Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite crashes when saving in full screen mode

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Oolite crashes when saving in full screen mode

Post by Eric Walch »

It happens lately more often that oolite crashes when I want to go to save something in fullscreen mode. On hitting the save option Oolite freezes and than ends. The mac log is as follow:

Code: Select all

Version: Oolite version 1.70 (1.70)

PID:    340
Thread: 0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xd3057de0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   libobjc.A.dylib                	0x90a410f8 objc_msgSend + 24
1   org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0004b1f0 CacheNodeFree + 128 (crt.c:355)
2   org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0004b20c CacheNodeFree + 156 (crt.c:355)
3   org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0004b20c CacheNodeFree + 156 (crt.c:355)
4   org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0004b20c CacheNodeFree + 156 (crt.c:355)
5   org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0004b218 CacheNodeFree + 168 (crt.c:355)
6   org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0004b218 CacheNodeFree + 168 (crt.c:355)
7   org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0004b270 -[OOCache dealloc] + 44 (crt.c:355)
8   org.aegidian.oolite            	0x000c522c +[OOTexture clearCache] + 72 (crt.c:355)
9   org.aegidian.oolite            	0x00020180 -[Universe setStrict:] + 72 (crt.c:355)
10  org.aegidian.oolite            	0x000b1b64 -[PlayerEntity(OOControlsPrivate) pollGuiArrowKeyControls:] + 3520 (crt.c:355)
11  org.aegidian.oolite            	0x000ae2d0 -[PlayerEntity(Controls) pollControls:] + 224 (crt.c:355)
12  org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0007d370 -[PlayerEntity update:] + 796 (crt.c:355)
13  org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0002c728 -[Universe update:] + 1768 (crt.c:355)
14  org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0000f96c -[GameController doPerformGameTick] + 136 (crt.c:355)
15  org.aegidian.oolite            	0x0000eff0 -[GameController goFullscreen:] + 1628 (crt.c:355)
16  com.apple.AppKit               	0x93841d44 -[NSApplication sendAction:to:from:] + 108
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hmm, looks like a bad reference to a texture. I don’t remember coming across that one before. You don’t happen to have Custompaint.oxp installed? It would be very convenient for me if this only happened with textures that didn’t load properly. :-)

I wonder where the crash reporter’s getting “crt.c:355” from.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

<blatant ad>

..and if you do, please upgrade to hotrods.oxp, a complete replacement for both custompaint & custompaints & racers! :D

</blatant ad>
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote:
Hmm, looks like a bad reference to a texture. I don’t remember coming across that one before. You don’t happen to have Custompaint.oxp installed? It would be very convenient for me if this only happened with textures that didn’t load properly. :-).
I never had Custompaint.oxp even downloaded. But I recently did install Hotrods. I'll look into it. I have a save file that predictable does this crash.

EDIT: It is not hotrods. When removing I get the same crashes. It soetimes crashes and sometimes displays the strict-mode screen but than Oolite hangs. It than needs an forced quit. When loading in 1.69.2 everything works.

I removed all OXP's and than oolite crashes on loading of my save file. This is an unrelated bug but still. The last entry in the log is:

Code: Select all

Oolite [unclassified.PlayerEntity] -[PlayerEntity setCommanderDataFromDictionary:] (PlayerEntity.m:733): ***** ERROR couldn't find a missile of role 'EQ_CHAFF_MINE' while trying to [PlayerEntity setCommanderDataFromDictionary:] *****
Oolite [exception] -[Universe handleOoliteException:] (Universe.m:7588): ***** Handling Fatal : OoliteFatalException : [PlayerEntity setCommanderDataFromDictionary:] failed to create a missile with role 'EQ_CHAFF_MINE' *****
The oxp is now gone and oolite crashes on this removal. Fix is easy by re-adding the oxp and firing those last mines before saving.

EDIT2
Fueltank.oxp must also be present on startup or it crashes on opening. I now had ALL oxp's removed except FuelTank 2.0 and Missies and Bomb 0.4

It now loads. When I launch and immediately dock and save, Oolite still crashes on hitting the save option.
Now I restarted, fired the last "shaff" and "fueltank". Re-docked and saved. Now it did work. So it is something those two do (or one of them). But the last past weeks I never touched any of my "missiles". So it probably only happens with a certain system condition that is fixed in my saved file.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I might have a bugfix for the chaff mine on load problem, I just need to test it properly... :)

Which OXP are chaff mines from?

Edit: Tested it now.

New behaviour when loading a savegame: if the missile isn't found a warning will be written to the log. Any unknown missiles will just be discarded.

Would it be better to have an on-screen warning if missile so-and-so couldn't be loaded from the savegame?
Last edited by Kaks on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
I might have a bugfix for the chaff mine on load problem, I just need to test it properly... :)

Which OXP are chaff mines from?
Missiles and bombs.
------

I now installed all oxp's and used only my fueltank or chaff. I both cases the bug on saving. Now a try with both using and still a crash on saving.
Restarted an loaded my game I manage to save with both fueltank and chaff used up and that one I could save!
But to say it clearly: it only crashes while saving in full screen mode, not in windowed mode.

----
Would it be better to have an on-screen warning if missile so-and-so couldn't be loaded from the savegame?
No, the player has removed them on purpose from the add-ons folder. Better ignore the missing missiles and replace then with free slots.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ok, it's on svn now! :D
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Oh man !!!!!!!!!!!!
8) That was fast
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric Walch wrote:
But to say it clearly: it only crashes while saving in full screen mode, not in windowed mode.
Translation to non-Mac developers: it’s a problem with the built-in save screen, which is not used in windowed mode on OS X.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yes, it would have been 'pretty difficult' to check the mac built-in save screen on my pc.

@ark: The bugfix I posted was only to stop oolite from crashing when loading a savegame with 'bad' missiles.

The main problem, save crashing in full screen mode, is still there afaik! :(

edit: I didn't seem to have problems saving using the built-in save screen on the pc, I'll double check & see what happens.

edit2:My pc doesn't seem to have any problems. I used all the bombs.
Last edited by Kaks on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote:
I wonder where the crash reporter’s getting “crt.c:355” from.
I don't know. I have about 2.5 Meg on Oolite crashreports starting from 2005. The “crt.c:355” is on almost all Oolite 1.70 reports. Not just this one.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

After a semi-thorough investigation:

Fuel tank 2.1: I couldn't find any problems with that oxp...

Missiles & bombs 0.4: there's a typo inside shipdata.plist, distress-beacon-launcher: like_ship should be qbomb instead of qmomb.

If you've got EQ_DISTRESS_MINE as one of your ship's missiles, that typo could cause a problem or two...

Do you still get that save game problem after correcting the typo?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
Do you still get that save game problem after correcting the typo?
It was not the equipment I had loaded. And I think it could have been something different at al. After restarting my computer the save file didn't bug anymore. So the problem lies deeper, more complex.