Oolite 1.70 and Random Hits OXP: Missions changing

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Timm74
Above Average
Above Average

Oolite 1.70 and Random Hits OXP: Missions changing

Post by Timm74 »

Hi,

I am not sure if that is a bug or intended behavior:
Even while I scroll through the board the missions keep changing.
For example if I come back to mission 1 after scrolling through 2 and 3 it has changed.

I I leave the board and reenter the Bar to check the Planets where the kills are going to happen the missions have changed as well, so I find it very hard to decide on a mission here...

Cheers!
Timm
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Its intended. Each 200 - 300 word mission is created by rolling about 50 100 to 300 sided "dice". Each mission is therefore basically unique. However if you flip through the board a few times (WITHOUT making a H jump), the same missions start comming up again. On each docking though there are usually 3 or 4 varients on each Easy Medium or Hard mission (page 1 / 2 / 3). If you accept a mission then the details of that mission are stored. Every time you vist a bar the missions will be different (the seed for the dice rolls is reset when you make a H jump). If a particular mission takes your fancy then you should accept it when offered. They are faily well paid, but this is to reflect the fact that you may well have to do some travelling. I'm assuming the player will take a mission and then do it when they feel like it. There is no time limit on completing them.

Because there are well over a trillion different combinations, the odds of the same mission comming up again are obviously faily small (once the seed is reset by H jumping). The seed remains the same whilst in system though. If a charcater is described as "an evil sharp-horned goat" this was generated by rolling a 150 sided dice three times. Its only a roll of 1, 1, 1, that makes him / her this. A roll of 2, 2,2 would have made him "a twisted luminious solicitor". Each word or phase in the briefing is generated like this. Oolites dice use a random seed though (ie if rolls 1,2 and 3 produced 27 15 18 then so will rolls 501, 502 and 503 as the sequence of numbers repeats after a while). Making a H-Jump resets the seed. So if you flip through the boards a few times (without making a H jump) missions you saw earlier will come up again.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Timm74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Timm74 »

Hi,

thanks for explaining. I just assumed that there would be only 3 missions staying the same while I was docked.

Cheers!
Timm