Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Free ship!

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Free ship!

Post by Cmdr James »

In an unmodified trunk, with a handful of oxps, I sometimes get a zero cost ship for sale in the shipyard. If I buy it, then it has its normal resale value, so I could make a stack of money this way. It is very hard to test, as I do not know what conditions cause it to occur, and removing oxps removes most of the ships I have seen it on.

In my most recent case (save-file available) it is a mosquito trader available for free. It is a "standard customer model, forward weapon upgraded to mining laser" There is another mosquito for a normal price (212300) at the same shipyard.

Is anyone looking at the (many) different ways ship value is calculated? If no one is, then I might try to get a single method on ShipEntity called something like calculateCost and see where I get to.

Just an idea, the standard forward weapon is a beam laser, which is 1000, and it is "upgraded" to a minig laser (800) it doesnt seem likely, but maybe this downgrade is breaking the calculation someplace?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

That saved game would certainly be useful.
Influence D
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Influence D »

I've also seen this, but I didn't think to keep the save file (because I thought the shipyard reset every time I loaded?)

I haven't updated my SVN build for about a week, maybe... I have a few OXPs installed, but nothing particularly fancy.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hmm, also this FdL's laser is upgraded to a Mining Laser, as in Cmdr James' case. So probably he is right to assume that the problem may originate from here.
Influence D
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Influence D »

I've subsequently found other FdLs with mining lasers and a reasonable cost - the difference being, they had other equipment also.

Perhaps it is an artifact of having ONLY a mining laser?
Influence D
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Influence D »

I've just found another case of this, also with an FdL with just a mining laser.
Some random logging revealed the cause of it:

Fer-de-Lance base_price = 485000

the code then adjusts prices for the cost of weapons:

Code: Select all

price -= [self getPriceForWeaponSystemWithKey:fwd_weapon_string] * 90 / 1000;	// 90% credits
Fer-de-Lance price2 = 484100

price += eq_price * 90 / 100;
Fer-de-Lance price3 = 484820

Fer-de-Lance price, base_price before cunningFee = 484820 485000
(this is the only ship where price ends up lower than base_price)

price = base_price + cunningFee(price - base_price);
Fer-de-Lance price after cunningFee = 0
Influence D
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Influence D »

since it wasn't very clear what I was saying there - this appears to be being caused by an unsigned/signed conversion when the difference between price and base_price goes negative.

if I printf 'value' in cunningFee, I get 18446744073709551616.000000 - which is clearly way, way too big.

I'm not entirely certain how this ends up making a zero total price - perhaps cunningFee bombs out and returns the last value on the stack? perhaps an overflow? I'd assume that it would not be consistent for every OS / build...

a simple patch would be:

if (price > base_price)
				price = base_price + cunningFee(price-base_price);
			else
				price = base_price;
alternately, you could just drop the 'else' clause and leave price with its current value, which I have tested and works.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Thank you, fixed.