Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

No roles

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

No roles

Post by Eric Walch »

I just made a hyper-space jump and on entering I saw about 10 trader-like ships hanging around and heading towards the planet. As this was unusual much I wondered what those were. I made an entity dump of some and saw that none of them had a role and all had an enteringTraderAI in state "HEAD_FOR_PLANET". But that is not a state in this AI. Looking further I saw some more strange things like a very low hull temperature of -25976.8
I just copied some strange lines from the dump. The reacted on firing them, so I thing the were flying a regular route1traderAI. I had never seen this before.

Code: Select all

Oolite [dumpState] -[Entity dumpState] (Entity.m:985): State for <ShipEntity Boa Class Cruiser 991>:
  Oolite [dumpState.entity] -[Entity dumpSelfState] (Entity.m:1002): Universal ID: 991
  Oolite [dumpState.entity] -[Entity dumpSelfState] (Entity.m:1007): Distance travelled: 432713
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7158): Name: Boa Class Cruiser
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7159): Roles: none
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7161): Time since shot: 101873
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7162): Behaviour: BEHAVIOUR_FLY_TO_DESTINATION
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7163): Target: <PlayerEntity Boa Class Cruiser 100>
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7169): Fuel: 13
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7170): Fuel accumulator: 1
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity.ai] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7185): AI:
    Oolite [dumpState.ai] -[AI dumpState] (AI.m:469): State machine name: enteringTraderAI.plist
    Oolite [dumpState.ai] -[AI dumpState] (AI.m:470): Current state: HEAD_FOR_PLANET
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7201): Hull temperature: -25976.8
I noticed this with Oolite 1.69.1 after some prolonged time of keeping the game running during dinner.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Strange. Never encountered something like this.

Although I have noticed other strange behaviours. E.g. since recently, when I jump into a system, I quite often find a Worm jumping in right after me. (Not even hyperspace capable!) Sometimes, in a non-communist system, I see one or two Workers Commuters.

I guess these are OXP-related. Trouble is, I don't know which combination of OXP's causes it.

EDIT: Aaaah, now I know: You must have encountered the infamous "Ships Who Came In from the Cold"! :D
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
since recently, when I jump into a system, I quite often find a Worm jumping in right after me. (Not even hyperspace capable!)
That does make sense though, since the worm is piggybacking and taking advantage of the wormhole created by another ship, it doesn't need to have hyperspace capability.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

TGHC wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
since recently, when I jump into a system, I quite often find a Worm jumping in right after me. (Not even hyperspace capable!)
That does make sense though, since the worm is piggybacking and taking advantage of the wormhole created by another ship, it doesn't need to have hyperspace capability.
Yes, it would make sense, were there another ship. But I'm talking about lone worms. And it doesn't come in my footsteps, as I'm usually watching my back before hyperjumping.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I've seen Workers' Commuters in non-Communist systems too, although (I'm pretty sure) only immediately after departing from a Communist system myself. I don't think I've ever gone from, say, a Multi-Government to a Dictatorship and met one, for example. Never been followed through witchspace by a Worm, though.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

An other case, but it also has to to with no roles:

Today I notices several times the homing buoy was missing on my radar. It happened before, so didn't really pay it much attention. I also saw for the second time a "Trident Executive Shuttle" hanging around near the buoy point.

This time I made a entity dump of the thing. There was something strange. It had a primary role of "buoy". And the new roles list was empty. So I looked inside the OXP. All ships have a role assigned to, but not the "trident-player".

So the OXP is buggy, but the new role system of 1.70 is somehow fooled by this having no role what made him selecting this ship as buoy.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

So it's another OXP due for a revision and reposting.

(I try to keep track of OXPs that have to be corrected and reposted. On the other hand, Ramirez is still around, so we can ask him to put a corrected version on the wiki (where BTW mrtchandler has done some nice work in expanding for instance the Trident's entry)).
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
So it's another OXP due for a revision and reposting.

(I try to keep track of OXPs that have to be corrected and reposted. On the other hand, Ramirez is still around, so we can ask him to put a corrected version on the wiki (where BTW mrtchandler has done some nice work in expanding for instance the Trident's entry)).
That would be really useful
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I'll do an update to Executive SpaceWays when I have a moment. Also I've noticed the role of the player Starseeker is 'starseeker-player' when it really should just be 'player' - I doubt this causes any problems but I'll fix that as well.

I'm a little concerned about the workers' commuters appearing in non-communist systems, as this means that the systemGovernment_number condition in the commuters' shipdata isn't working properly. Unless it's another commuter model that's been created outside of the Commies OXP?
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I don't think there are workers' commuters created outside commies.oxp, so I indeed am a little concerned as well.

It would be really nice if someone could do some thorough testing of this.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

There are still flaws in the new role set. I just encountered a hostile cargopod that attacked me!!!

It must have been launched from a "Rock Hermit" from "pirate Cove.oxp" as a defender with the command launchPirateShip. It should have chosen a ship with role "pirate" but it took the wrong one and gave it a pirateAI.plist.

Oolite [dumpState] -[Entity dumpState] (Entity.m:1015): State for <ShipEntity 0x2e8d9400>{"Cargo container" ID: 786 position: (8660.08, 15724.6, 75501.5) scanClass: CLASS_NEUTRAL status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}:
  Oolite [dumpState.entity] -[Entity dumpSelfState] (Entity.m:1033): Scan class: CLASS_NEUTRAL
  Oolite [dumpState.entity] -[Entity dumpSelfState] (Entity.m:1040): Owner: <StationEntity 0x1783ae00>{"Rock Hermit" "Rock Hermit" ID: 746 position: (10092.7, 19293.4, 69587.9) scanClass: CLASS_CARGO status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}
  Oolite [dumpState.entity] -[Entity dumpSelfState] (Entity.m:1059): Flags: isShip, hasMoved, hasRotated, isSunlit, collisionTestFilter
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7333): Name: Cargo container
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7334): Roles: <OORoleSet 0xff7d9c0>{cargopod(0.33)}
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7335): Primary role: pirate
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7336): Script: <OOJSScript 0xff7dde0>{"oolite-default-ship-script" version 1.70}
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity.ai] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7361): AI:
    Oolite [dumpState.ai] -[AI dumpState] (AI.m:501): State machine name: pirateAI.plist
    Oolite [dumpState.ai] -[AI dumpState] (AI.m:502): Current state: ATTACK_SHIP
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eric Walch wrote:
There are still flaws in the new role set. I just encountered a hostile cargopod that attacked me!!!
:shock: I would have loved to see that! How did it attack? Ramming you? Showing you the fist (or only a finger?)? Or are there cargo-pod lasers hidden somewhere? :o
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I would have loved to see that! How did it attack? Ramming you? Showing you the fist (or only a finger?)? Or are there cargo-pod lasers hidden somewhere?
It did it best to kill me. But without lasers it is hard working against a ship with shields. At the end of the battle he did loose his life. But I remenber that it took more shots than usual to kill the cargopod. I should have tried to scoop him, but I look forward to meet more. When it is a bug, it's likeky to happen more around a pirate cove Hermite.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

This time I encountered 2 yellow cargopods near witchspace entrypoint. From one I made a target dump:

Oolite [dumpState.entity] -[Entity dumpSelfState] (Entity.m:1032): Universal ID: 890
  Oolite [dumpState.entity] -[Entity dumpSelfState] (Entity.m:1033): Scan class: CLASS_NOT_SET
  Oolite [dumpState.entity] -[Entity dumpSelfState] (Entity.m:1034): Status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT
  Oolite [dumpState.entity] -[Entity dumpSelfState] (Entity.m:1040): Owner: <ShipEntity 0x6bb22000>{"Cargo cannister" ID: 890 position: (3454.79, 6209.18, 12809.9) scanClass: CLASS_NOT_SET status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7333): Name: Cargo cannister
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7334): Roles: <OORoleSet 0x3366ec50>{cargopod(0.1)}
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7335): Primary role: harkov_gm
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7336): Script: <OOJSScript 0x3366efa0>{"oolite-default-ship-script" version 1.70}
  Oolite [dumpState.shipEntity] -[ShipEntity dumpSelfState] (ShipEntity.m:7338): Behaviour: BEHAVIOUR_FLY_TO_DESTINATION
    Oolite [dumpState.ai] -[AI dumpState] (AI.m:501): State machine name: route1patrolAI.plist
    Oolite [dumpState.ai] -[AI dumpState] (AI.m:502): Current state: HEAD_FOR_WITCHPOINT
Probably the same error as last time. Original roleset was "cargopod" but somehow it got a primary role of "harkov_gm" and a AI of "route1patrolAI.plist". Similarity with the last one was that this also had a chance factor smaller than 1.

Both pods gave me credits on shooting down. (7 and 11 credits)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

:shock: Maybe that's the same thing you have told me a while ago. I'm using some conditions in shipdata.plist. But the dump is made with 1.70 (Primary role)? I know that the localhero.oxp does not work with 1.70 and currently I'm learning JS to rescript this oxp. I should add a comment to the localhero thread.

And I can image your face when it happens the first time :D