3333 kills

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

I've resisted using Q Mines for that sort of thing. Assassins has several huge battles which can give you loads of kills but I felt guilty and reloaded!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Jason Whitelock wrote:
Sorry guys - I am nowhere near 'worthy' status of such a collection of captains,
Have no fears, Commander Whitelock. There is absolutely noting 'worthy' about this collection of captains.

Myself included, of course.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hoopy wrote:
I've resisted using Q Mines for that sort of thing. Assassins has several huge battles which can give you loads of kills but I felt guilty and reloaded!
Absolutely right too, it would be a bit like catching the train to the top of Snowdon rather than walking, you get to the top with no sense of self achievement.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

I do think the energy bomb should just disable everybody's (user included) lasers for a short period though. I only use it when I'm about to die but even so it's given me a fair few kills...
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

i must be hitting the wrong button, i've never managed to use the energy bomb. tried though. do i have to be locked on to someone?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

lock on not required. you just have to have bought one and then hit the relevant button. Have you looking in the keyconfig file to see what key is set to fire it? I use tab which is (I think) referred to by '\t' in the config file.
Cmdr Thorsson(aka zx81)
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Cmdr Thorsson(aka zx81) »

Hoopy wrote:
I do think the energy bomb should just disable everybody's (user included) lasers for a short period though. I only use it when I'm about to die but even so it's given me a fair few kills...
I agree it is very powerful!! used one for the first time yesterday while being swarmed by three pirates(I think all sidewinders). All three died, I was relieved to escape mind you.

How about we have two types of energy bomb.

1. keep the original as is, just change the price to >+1000 to reflect it's added power(maybe change the name also to super energy bomb or some such?)

2. Add a new energy bomb, priced at the current rate but that only effects the shields of your enemies and lasers all round(although if your enemies shields are reduced to 0 they start to flee dont they? so that might be enough to save your skin and give a window of opportunity to escape, you could leave the laser uneffected?). We could rename it an EMP bomb?

something like that.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

that's a nice idea. Super energy bomb should cost something like 2500 as it's similar to a Q-bomb in power. Impossible to avoid but not necessarily fatal if you're hit by it - the toughest NPCs and Players can survive it.

Only problem is that the energy bomb was 900 credits in the original Elite so many won't want to change that. OTOH that's what strict mode is for...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Cmdr Thorsson(aka zx81) wrote:
2. Add a new energy bomb, priced at the current rate but that only effects the shields of your enemies and lasers all round(although if your enemies shields are reduced to 0 they start to flee dont they? so that might be enough to save your skin and give a window of opportunity to escape, you could leave the laser uneffected?). We could rename it an EMP bomb?

something like that.
I rather like the sound of that.

IMHO the energy bomb has always been an imbalance in the game, ie too powerful and too cheap, and why does it not blow yourself up as well?

The idea of disabling/damaging your attackers shields and or laser has a lot of merit, although whether it would be programmable or not I wouldn't know.

The Qmine is an excellent example of Oolite's improved development from the original elite, there is an element of skill/technique in launching a Q mine, and it will only work if lanched in the right place, plus you are potentially a victim of its destruction yourself so I would support the idea of "reconfiguring" the energy bomb for Oolite gameplay.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

TGHC wrote:
The idea of disabling/damaging your attackers shields and or laser has a lot of merit, although whether it would be programmable or not I wouldn't know.
Not easily, since NPC ships don’t have shields.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

nijineko wrote:
i must be hitting the wrong button, i've never managed to use the energy bomb. tried though. do i have to be locked on to someone?
If you're on a Mac and use Oolite 1.65 it will be the '9'-key instead of TAB. That was due to a small flaw in the keyconfig.plist, that has been sorted out only recently.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

mac yes, but 1.69.x or so. ^^

btw, where in the system are the graveyards? wandered over there, but didn't spot anything like that. =(
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Well, just try it out. It's either the '9'-key or the TAB-key. I don't recall ATM when Ahruman fixed the wrong code in keycontrol.plist. You can look it up yourself in his distribution notes of the different version in the Mac-part of the board.

As far as graveyard-location is concerned: I think you can find it via your compass. If not, then just fly around a bit. (And of course you'll never going to find it if you're anywhere else than Tionisla (or haven't installed the OXP).) :wink:
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

And now I'm half way - just passed 3200.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Congrats!

And: Right On, Commander!