Get in close. Reeeaaallllyyy close!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Get in close. Reeeaaallllyyy close!

Post by GothStag »

I jumped into a democracy system only to immediately find 3 GalCop Vipers battling a Thargoid Carrier! Thinking "Ah well, lets have a go!" I joined the fray. The Carrier launched a Cruiser as soon as I attacked but I found that by sticking very very very close to the Carrier and orbiting it neither Thargoid could get a clean shot at me! After about 10 minutes the Carrier went bang & I dealt with the Cruiser not long after.

I think by pressing shift & 8 I may have taken a few stills of the action. How do you post pictures on this board?
In memory of ma homey H-Dog.
Krunchin tha numbaz with tha Angels.

http://www.midstateoffice.com/index.php
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

10 minutes? Bah, too long battle! Needless!

A thargoid carrier is actually not a hard opponent. Four full salvos of a military laser, and he goes *BANG*. And you can do that from a very safe distance. After all, it's nearly impossible to miss him, if you only aim vaguely in his direction! :wink:

For the technical question of posting pictures: You have to use a free picture upload site, like e.g. www.imageshack.us to upload your screenshots. Then you post the link here, or you include it in the tags to make it visible automatically.

Back to thargoid carriers: As you climb up the Elite ladder you will see them more and more frequently. Once you are Elite, you will meet two of them on every third or forth jump or so. So the excitement drops over time. My advice: Two thargoid carriers are the rare case where a q-bomb makes sense even economically, as each of them pays 2000 cr bounty. 8)
GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GothStag »

Cheers for the advice Commander :D

I saw it & got scared :lol:
In memory of ma homey H-Dog.
Krunchin tha numbaz with tha Angels.

http://www.midstateoffice.com/index.php
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

I decided that thargoid carriers appear so often that they just get in the way. They're so big and slow that they're easy to kill but they block the jump drive.

So I amended the script to reduce the chance of them appearing so it's a nice surprise and a bit of fun when I see them instead of tedious.

Perhaps thay should be given a load of plasma turrets to make them a real battle?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hoopy wrote:
Perhaps thay should be given a load of plasma turrets to make them a real battle?
Let me quote from their readme:
readme_tc wrote:
if you like it and want to make variations of it, let me know and we can discuss it
So, for any improvements, feel free to contact their creator (Selezen) and make your suggestions.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

good point!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

You're welcome.

Any other questions?