Gun positioning

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Gun positioning

Post by Helvellyn »

I've created a ship with its forward gun located highish on the Y axis. It seems reluctant to fire at me, especially at close range. Is it attempting to point the z-axis line at me, and not the gun?

I've also been trying to use subentities to add guns. This crashes the game, even when I pinch them from another ship with sub-ents. The only difference that I can think of is that I don't have a model for the sub-ent; I'm trying to use it purely to position a gun. They do fire at me, and the crashes don't always happen straight away, but stop happening when I remove the sub-ents. Nothing appears in stderr.txt.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Please send me a test case. (The game isn’t designed to handle entities without models, and one or two little triangles won’t hurt you, but of course OXPs shouldn’t be able to cause a crash.)
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Check PMs.

Stuck a vicious-looking tiny tetrahedron gun (needed a texture as well as a model to work), and it doesn't seem to crash with that. Still get the reluctance to shoot at me, though.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Think you may need to set the FORWARD_WEAPON of the main entry to WEAPON none to get it using its sub-entry lasers or turrets much. The Black monkgun ships are pretty lively with there three guns, but they have forward weapon none and a sub-entry laser stuck on where the forward laser would be.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

It didn't fire the main (non sub-ent) laser much even when I removed the sub-ents, certainly not at close range. An ordinary rear laser hardly ever seems to be used either, even when you're on its tail blasting the hell out of it. I'll have to try moving the whole thing down so that the guns are near y=0 and see if that makes any difference.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It could be an AI-problem as well. Try to put in some more performAttack-methods in order to make your ship more aggressive.
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Thought I'd said that I had done this, but apparently not...

I moved the whole thing down to nearer y=0, and hey presto, more shooting. I suppose the game is trying to point the axes, not the guns?