Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Universal external views ?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

PsychotropicDog
Above Average
Above Average

Universal external views ?

Post by PsychotropicDog »

Forgive me if this has been said before, but a cursory search showed if it had it was not recent.

Since I am currently trying to tweak a custom view, it occured to me, why does each ship need it's own listing of a custom view?

Would it be possible to have one custom view array available for ALL ships, thus reducing the number of times it is cut and pasted into a shipdata.plist, and theoretically reducing the load on the CPU ?

Or even have two - one for larger ships.

Thus if anyone wanted to alter their custom views, the changes would apply to all ships they pilot.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

In externalviews.oxp (available on Oosat 2) there are four different arrays for different shipsizes. Two wouldn't be enough, as ships vary quite a lot in sizes. And for sure you wouldn't have an Adder appear very small on the screen, whereas you would see only fractions of your Anaconda.

So, see it just as a nice possibility for customizing. Anyway, there are also the internal viewpositions and the weapons positions defined for each and every ship.

Besides, I don't think a hard-coded view would reduce the load on the CPU much.

And of course you're welcome to use one of the arrays in externalviews.oxp for your own ship. I'm quite sure one of them fits for your purpose. And there is no need at all to re-invent the wheel in this community. :wink:
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
And there is no need at all to re-invent the wheel in this community. :wink:
Damn. There goes my wheel-inventing project. <Puts down chisel> :roll:
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
PsychotropicDog
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PsychotropicDog »

hmm, what was I thinking?

I really like the views of the Drake, including the scoop cam, but I found I actually have an easier time with the normal interior view when trying to scoop stuff up.

Don't worry, give it time and I will come up with another idea for a different wheel.
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Wiggy wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
And your graphic-borrowing (avatar)... I don't mind much, but I wish people would ask. Mind you, since I removed contact details from the site years ago it's probably not unexpected that people don't, and it's not as if I have any claim on the original design.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Helvellyn wrote:
Wiggy wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
And your graphic-borrowing (avatar)... I don't mind much, but I wish people would ask. Mind you, since I removed contact details from the site years ago it's probably not unexpected that people don't, and it's not as if I have any claim on the original design.
???
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Helvellyn wrote:
I wasn't aware that anyone had used the original Elite graphic as an avatar image on this site before. If I had been, I wouldn't have used it. (I joined in Jan 2005.)

But if you don't have any claim to the design, what exactly should I be asking?

I'm reasonably confident that I didn't get the graphic from you. Unless you are Ian Bell or David Braben, of course.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Wiggy wrote:
Helvellyn wrote:
I wasn't aware that anyone had used the original Elite graphic as an avatar image on this site before. If I had been, I wouldn't have used it. (I joined in Jan 2005.)

But if you don't have any claim to the design, what exactly should I be asking?

I'm reasonably confident that I didn't get the graphic from you. Unless you are Ian Bell or David Braben, of course.
I don't have claim to the original design, of course, because I didn't design the box and manual and so on for the original game, but that particular version of it looks very much like a shrunk down to avatar size version of one of the one I drew and have on my site.

I did a shrunk version for an avatar, http://elite.acornarcade.com/ims/smlogo.gif , which looks a bit better (better shrinking), but it may be a bit small for you.