Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BeaconLauncher.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

julyy
Dangerous
Dangerous

BeaconLauncher.oxp

Post by julyy »

A beacon is cool, but:

With oolite 1.69 theres no way to see witch of the mines is the beacon.
When I launch a beacon with "m" sometimes it acts like a cascade mine!!!!
Is there a way to see whats my beacon and not to launch it as a mine???

Also if you deploy a real mine or a beacon very close to a station, nothing happens and your criminal record changes from fugitiv to clean!!!! For real in this order!

What a bad trip. ;)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

This is not a feature of 1.69, but the normal look of the beacon launcher. Its icon on the HUD looks like that of a mine (and the icon of the beacon missile looks like that of a usual missile). That's because Twisted (who wrote the OXP) hasn't drawn another icon, which he could have done. You could ask him to do so, if he still visits the boards.

I have briefly studied the code, but I'm not sure where the two items inherit their icon.

For your second observation: I haven't tried it out. But I suggest you report it in one of the 1.69-threads in any platform-forum.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I tried dropping Q-bombs close to the station and couldn't replicate your bug. No clean for me. The only thing I got was one bomb exploding in the docking bay (unfortunately no screenshot of that) and a strange interference between the explosion and the station's texture when the bomb went boom.
(I didn't survive that explosion either.)
julyy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by julyy »

Hm ... this second thing, might be a chance or somewhat. Strange things happen here since 1.69 but I replicate this issue twice. After your posts it didnt happen. Hm ?

You get a bounty of 300 for a station?? Or for yourself ;) ?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

No, the station remained unharmed. You can't get rid of it with just a couple of ordinary Q-tips-bombs.

And the bounty was for some guy who just chose the wrong moment to launch. :twisted:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
For your second observation: I haven't tried it out. But I suggest you report it in one of the 1.69-threads in any platform-forum.
The “Testing and Bug Reports” forum would be acceptable, too. ;-)

After a few tests, Q-bombs are consistently working. I can confirm the glitch. The problem arises because the effect is actually a circle, not a spherical shell. The trivial fix causes everything between the viewer and the Q-mine to be covered by the effect, which is OK for distant objects but very wrong for close ones. A non-trivial solution isn’t a priority right now.