Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

More varied questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

nijineko wrote:
rest assured, unless you are a rat comprised mainly of variously charged photons, you have nothing to worry about.

yet another question: does every version of oolite play the same, as in same planets and galaxies, or is each on randomly generated at game start, or what?

and another: assuming the same oxps are installed, if i start posting about cool stuff i found in this one system, are others going to be able to go and find the same stuff?

for example: i found this freaky huge asteroid in this one system. i would not have found it had not it been in a direct line with the witchspace beacon and the station, but in a very odd location. about as far away as the witchspace beacon but on the opposite side of the station from said beacon. i would not have noticed it had i not been in combat and on the lookout for things moving at odds with the starfield.

at first it looked like a ship in the far distance, but as i got closer it still did not show up on my scanners. and finally i jumped to it. occasionally i'll run into a ship or two along this route (it's not lined up with the sun either, btw. if you were to take the ws beacon, the planet/station, the huge asteroid, and the sun, it forms a cross, with the sun at the feet.

i'm reluctant to harvest it, as it's such a unique formation as observed in my travels. there are also other regular asteroids surrounding it.
That is a Rock Hermit unless you found something That is not in the shipdata.plist files...

You can dock with it and trade there... oh and there can be more than 1 per system... ofcourse only the Rock Hermit Locator that is being developed and tested by the DTP Design Agency at this very moment, will give you an exact count...

ATM the DTP design agency is said to be engaged with negotiations with the Miners Guild About how best to bring this Piece of Equipment to the market and protecting it from being used in any unlawfull way by for example pirates...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

is not a rock hermit. flew around it. nothing. tagged as a Large Asteroid. it's just sitting there a freakishly huge asteroid. aren't rock hermits usually tagged as such?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Check my post on page 1. Yeah Rock Hermits will come up on your ID computer as such.:wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

that's one sweet asteroid! did you manage to destroy it? or sit back and watch the fireworks?

yeah i have asteroidstorm.oxp installed, oddly enough it has stayed there through several jumps. i don't have pirates installed yet. i'm trying to build up cash between a tl12 and a tl2 system running the usual furs and comps. and suddenly i noticed it way down below the station.

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

In the mission the player can either run away or bravely try to save the station from the number of asteroids knocked out of their normal orbits and speeding towards the station. It's up to you to decide what you do. Actions always have consequences however... :wink:
Last edited by LittleBear on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

is that in asteroidstorm or pirates? which one is that in?

i can bet that a nasty asteroid shower is sure to follow blowing that sucker up.

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Asteroid storm adds the Defend the Station mission and the new asteroids generally. Pirate Coves adds Coves and more asteroids. I reckon you could safley install pirate coves if your mainly trading. This adds occasional Pirate Coves to the more lawless systems. These are Rock Hermits taken over by pirates. Each pirate hermit is surrounded by an asteroid field, so you also get more asteroids in the game playing with this OXP installed. Be warned though, if you stumble accoss a pirate cove, they are likley to scramble and come to try and crab you cargo. But it gives a good chance to pick up some bounties by blowing up the pirates, then their base and finally a bit of asteroid mining.
Last edited by LittleBear on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

installed. i'm looking forward. =D