Thargoids

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pepak
Competent
Competent

Thargoids

Post by pepak »

Had my first three battles against Thargoids today. The first Thargoid warship appeared in normal space and I destroyed it before it could start firing. So I decided to try the "keep going up while hyperspacing" dance which is said to summon more Thargoids. And it did. Four of them. I tried to rush them head on and had to hyperspace away. Then I tried it once more and this time decided to show them my heels. Needless to say, they never had a chance and I destroyed all four without them having a single shot at me. Shouldn't they be more dangerous?

I was hoping my smashing success against the Thargoids would once again convince the military to give me some more missions, but nothing happened yet :-(
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Install ThorgonThreat.OXP and you'll find 'em pretty dangerous. To give the Navy a chance you might also want to insall Behemoth.oxp!

If you want a mission word is that the Ionic's Corporation and The Link both are looking for mercenaries in Galaxy 2. You can download this OXP from the Wiki missions page.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
pepak
Competent
Competent

Post by pepak »

Installed Thargoid Wars.

Thargoids don't seem any more difficult to kill than before. The only difference is that when they ambush me, more of their friends come along before I can pick up all Alien Items.

But I noticed a problem: I tried to hyperspace some 6 light years away. Thargoids ambushed me maybe 2 light years away from my starting point. I killed them. But what now? All 6 light years worth of fuel disappeared and there is no star near enough to teleport to, no sun to milk. What do I do in this situation?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

You'll need Behemoth OXP installed too!

These GalCop carriers can be found in witchspace fighting the bugs. The two OXPs work together so more Bugs (and some very dangerous Multi-turrreted multi-lasered ones) will be added in prroportion to the number of Navy Carriers. (IE more Navy Ships = More dangerous bugs! No Navy ships = only a few less dangerous Bugs).

ID Computer lock some Bugs. You should be seeing Thargoid Frigates, Thargoid Terrorisers, Thargoid Battleships etc as well as the standard Thargoid Warships.

You can dock with these GalCop carriers and top up your fuel, allowing you to escape. Whilst docked the Captain may also decide to make a jump, giving up a lift into normal space. Of Course, if you hide on the sidlines and allow the Carriers to be destroyed, then your out of luck!
Last edited by LittleBear on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
pepak
Competent
Competent

Post by pepak »

Actually, I do have a Behemoth OXP. But my last encounter was just like the others, pre-Behemoth and pre-Thargoid Wars - just me and the bugs. What can I do in such a situation? Except for P, F2, Exit Game...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Odd. Sounds like the Behmoth OXP isn't working. On my set-up I get hoards of Thargoids and usually at least 2 Carriers. Have you tried the lastest version from Oosat2. I think there is a bug on the old version on Oosat1. I think the Thargon Threat REQUIRES behemoth to work as it does a scanforshipwithrole: behemoth and then Adds Bugs depending on the number found. So a zero for behemoths will mean zero bugs.
pepak
Competent
Competent

Post by pepak »

LittleBear wrote:
Odd. Sounds like the Behmoth OXP isn't working. On my set-up I get hoards of Thargoids and usually at least 2 Carriers. Have you tried the lastest version from Oosat2.
No idea. I downloaded the module from Wiki. I don't know how to discover the version or if it is actually working. (The files are dated Aug 23, 2006)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Thats the new version. But somthing is up as you are not seeing the ships from either this or Thorgon Threat. Check that the folder ending .oxp is in AddOns. Load up Oolite and say N to load new Commander. Now use the right arrow to scroll through the ships displayed. Go past the native ones and you'll start seeing ships from OXPs you have in. You won't see the Behemoth (even if you have the OXP installed as this ship is not displayed here), but you should see the new Thargoids. If you are not seeing the Thargoid Battleships etc, then Oolite is not reading the OXP.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

pepak wrote:
But I noticed a problem: I tried to hyperspace some 6 light years away. Thargoids ambushed me maybe 2 light years away from my starting point. I killed them. But what now? All 6 light years worth of fuel disappeared and there is no star near enough to teleport to, no sun to milk. What do I do in this situation?
Very simple: You die out there! :twisted:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The only way out is to Galactic hyperspace
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

...if you have the equipment installed, that is.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Well then as someone said:

When your dead, your dead!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

They even say: The earlier you die the longer you're dead!
chaos syndrome
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chaos syndrome »

Talking of the "maximum climb causes Witchspace failure" - is there any kind of rationalisation in the context of the Oolite universe for this?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yes, although it isn’t canonical.