Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

docking puters

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I enjoy manual docking, even though I have a fitted 'puter.
Actually I think I only used it three times: once to dock with a Dredger and the rest because I was sleepy (or rather, nearly dropping out cold) and wanted to get to a certain system before going to bed...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

@ Frame:
you are right. on all counts.

Buoys were not in C=64 or any of the Frontier sequels.

I almost never use the 'autodock' in my experience it leads to a 50% mortality rate.
(I use it to dock while I'm in the combuis making coffee or while I'm in my cabin working on stuff at the CPU console.)
quickdock can be handy with Behemoths etc.
Riding the Rocket!
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

I love manual docking with a joystick. match the spin and then put the throttle forward!
Insert witty saying here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Frame wrote:
Weird though, im almost 100% sure that you could not dock at full throttle in Classic Elite on the commodore 64...
I seem to remember the same. I was astonished when I found out that you can dock at full throttle in Oolite.

And actually with a little bit practise it is sooo easy to dock manually without a buoy. As the docking bay is very visible with all the flashers lining up with it is no problem at all. And as most of the ships are relatively small compared to the bay there is no need to line up exactly. Sort of lining up will do most of the time.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

@Commander McLane

aye the 2d docking bay on the C=64 made it a bit more challenging...
however i once docked backwards facing the planet since you couldnt stand complete still on the C=64 version...

any fictional spectators would have siad... show off ^^
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

....?!

how is that possible?

It was impossible to have negative speed in C=64.
That means NO backwards movement.

:?
Riding the Rocket!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

no clue... my bet is that my forward motion was translated to negative motion when i turned the craft at throttle set to zero...

however, that is purely speculation...

i do recall though that i scraped the sides quite alot before docking...
i tried it again but failed each time after that...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Arexack_Heretic

maybe you had just a piece of craft 'sticking out' that you managed to scrape inside.
Riding the Rocket!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Being a PC user many moons ago I had to be content just reading this BBS untill the first PC installer version was released (thanks again Nic) and IIRC it was damned hard to dock manually untill you got the hang of it, it certainly seemed harder then TNK and my original Amstrad version. At some stage with a later release I'm sure Giles did something to make manual docking a lot easier, and certainly now I can dock my supercobra at full speed and sometimes with injectors too.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Ragz
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Ragz »

Wiggy wrote:
I believe that navigation buoys were in the Spectrum version.

In my day, we didn't have them on the BBC version, and we used to look down our collective nose at the Speccy users who couldn't dock without them.

(Yes, I'm from a strange alien race that has a collective nose. Don't visit our world when there's a flu bug going round.) :lol:
sorry to revive but, the speccy version did _not_ have buoys.
The nav buoys of Oolite are great, but i must admit, i used to enjoy the fact that i could dock without the need for a DC. The art of docking was to flyby the station, directly towards the planet, then stop, turn round and just throttle up.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

one version of the game had retro rockets, i bet you could line up the slot in the rear view mirror and fire them off to dock backwards. Galcop would probbly revoke your licence for stupidity tho!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

They were certainly in Xelite, but were not a lot of good really once you got miltary lasers etc.

In Oolite the enemy can be much more potent and the ability to be able to do the equivalent of a Harrier viffing would be brilliant in combat.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I also love the concept of Newtonian physics and six degrees of freedom... But that's not Oolite!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
I also love the concept of Newtonian physics and six degrees of freedom... But that's not Oolite!
You and your six degrees of freedom! :roll:

People will think you are obsessed :wink:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!