Am I missing something?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

t0nedude
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Am I missing something?

Post by t0nedude »

I am a huge fan of Elite, and have enjoyed all the X's (X2 and X3 especially) and also Elite 2 and FFE, and found this remake due to a link in a retro mag.

It seems very promising, however I have the game set to 'Restricted' gameplay for the moment, and am having a problem with the jumpdrive.
Set up as it is with no hyperdrive allowed when an object is present on the scanner, this will surely test the patience of the proverbial saint.

Hyperdriving for a few seconds, then twiddling thumbs for ten minutes before engaging it for another few seconds, is becoming a bit tedious. Am I missing something here? Ships move off the scanner too slllloooowwwlllly, and then another appears seconds later (system Zaonce). It seems to be hard work just doing my first trade run.

The time accelerated SETA in the X games solved this nicely, and didn't impede gameplay.

Tony.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Hi there. Welcome back to an old addiction...

Well, the hyperdrive is to jump to other systems, what you were talking about was the jump drive.

Exept for the police and some pirates, almost all of the intrasystem traffic is from the hyperspace buoy to the station - the same way you're going, thus the small difference between your speeds.

You may bypass this by moving away from the lane for a little while before heading to the station. This will also keep most of the pirates at bay, but your combat rating will suffer.
Another way is to get a hyperspace fuel injector that allows you to use, ahem, hyperspace fuel, on your normal drive. It'll give you a good boost to overtake (or escape) other ships in combat or even zoom past the whole traffic jam, but once you fuel runs out you're back in normal speed.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Another possibility:

"How dare they occupy the spacelane you are using!" Warm up the lasers.

Also, piracy is vey lucrative.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

davcefai wrote:
Another possibility:
"How dare they occupy the spacelane you are using!" Warm up the lasers.
Also, piracy is vey lucrative.
As long as you're not caught in the act by the vipers, that is...
A bad rap sheet also tends to get even worse once you're forced to practice the ancient & noble art of self-defense against them pesky coppers.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Hi,

Now I know it's all opinion, but I really suggest unrestricted play with a few selected OXP's - Murghs stuff & Littlebears are very cool (not to say everyone else's are not)... A particular favourite is Lave.OXP it brings the whole 'Dark Wheel' feel right there 8)

Good luck Commander!
Team Zorg are Go!
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

May I also lead you in the direction of this thread https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=301&start=0
Team Zorg are Go!
t0nedude
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by t0nedude »

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll give them a go. I have managed to do my first few trade runs, to build up a bit of money. :)

The remake is certainly very impressive, congrats to all involved. This also seems to be a friendly board; my first post could easily have been misconstrued as a criticism (not my intention) so kudos again.

Regards,

Tony.